Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I purchased an HP desktop in December of 2009, model P6204Y, I had some problems with it crashing a lot and the sound volume wasn't audible. In July 2010 it was determined I had to return it, which I did and the motherboard was replaced. Now I'm getting errors with my hard drive, it fails the smart test and I'm told the hard drive must be replaced.

I chatted with an HP rep and since my warranty expired I was told I need to purchase the new hard drive. The price I was quoted is $275.00, I checked Amazon and the price for the exact same hard drive is $65.00.

(Seagate P/N ST3750528AS)

Also, I could not make a recovery disk on my computer, I tried many times and thought perhaps I was using cheap disk so I bought better ones, I still couldn't make the disk. So now I don't have a copy of win 7 64 bit, and since you can only make a recovery disk for 60 days after purchase, I can't make it now. I think the problem was with the bad motherboard.

So now if I buy the hard drive from amazon, I will also have to buy a copy of win 7 64 bit. If I buy the hard drive from HP, they will send me a recovery disk that will work.

I don't think I'm being treated fairly here. I'm willing to buy a HD from HP, but why do I need to pay so much for it?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

woodman,

Contact HP support to order a set of the HP Recovery Disks.  ~$20  HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT or online here.

HP Recovery Disks.

You can use the HP Recovery Disks to bring your PC back to a factory fresh day one condition on your new hard drive. These is no need to buy Windows.

Cyberlink recovery CD for new hard drives. When you have created this CD, insert it into the system that is unable to boot, restart it and wait until you see a window with a green check mark.  Then remove the CD and insert your first Recovery DVD.  Restart the PC and go through the process of installing the Operating System again. 

You don't need to buy the new hard drive from HP.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

The rep told me HP's recovery disk won't work with a HD purchased elsewhere because they are 'tattooed'. They offered to send me the recovery disk free of charge, except for shipping. When I look up the HD I need on HP's site they price that comes up is $79.00 so now I'm confused and wondering where the rep came up with a price of $275.00

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=accessories&landing=computer&...

HP Recommended

Hi,

This is just to confirm that the advice Big_Dave has given you is absolutely correct.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm downloading that program now to make the recovery utility now. I think the rep must have mis-quoted the price, at least I hope she did. I guess I'll let you know how it works out after I install a new hard drive.

HP Recommended

I bought an hp pavilion g6 laptop windows 8 about 9 months ago.  Only had it 2 months had to send it to hp to have a new hardrive put in. Now the hard drive is crashed again with no recovery.  Now the hdd  thats in it I cant find no info on.  the model # ST750LM022 CAN ANYONE HELP

HP Recommended

howie44

The issue you are describing appears to be a physical issue and I think it would be best if you contacted HP technical support for repair options as you sound to be still under warranty. I do not want to seem like I am putting you off but if the timeline is as you have laid out you have little time left on our warranty and need to contact HP ASAP.

US support link to contact options for laptops purchased in the US.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?cc=us&lc=en

Outside of US support link to contact options for laptops purchased outside the US.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

I would like to thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended
My Hp has been hacked by Encryptolocker - was thinking about a new PC - have run refresh etc - wondering if simply replacing the hard drive and of course changing all my personal ID would be best -thanks
HP Recommended

Cptman,

In most cases, replacing the hard drive will cure many problems like the one you encountered. Also, doing a complete destructive format on the current drive should work, Remember, you will need to use the HP Recovery Media you previously created to return the computer to a factory like state. If you didn't create this media, please contact official HP support in your region / country, via the HP Worldwide Support Portal, to inquire about the availability of HP Recovery Media for your computer.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

No sound from computer laptop.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.