Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC

After upgrading from wins 8.1 to wins 10, I found that the MS Works 9 program was not recognizing word files that I downloaded from email.   When I open the file, i receive a message that explaines how I should purchase a Microsoft Office program.  I deleted the existing Works 9 program and reloaded the program from the disk that came with the program.  My computer continues to ignores the fact that Works 9 is available and directs me to purchase MS Office.  I  did not have this problem when the computer was running on Wins 8.1

Otherwise, the Works9 program works perfectely with Wins 10.   Any help would be very much appreciated.  Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Worahm,

I think your issue deals with the default application that opens your file type. I would recommend changing which program will open your Works 9 file. Please see Windows support page here to learn more about changing the default. If Works 9 does not show up in the list of programs to choose from, go to Choose default program, and then locate the file on your C: Drive. 

Please let me know if this works. It soudns like when you upgraded, some of the defaults were lost. 

Jesyka 🙂

I work on behalf of HP. #HPExpertsDay

Please click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you. Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is resolved.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Worahm,

I think your issue deals with the default application that opens your file type. I would recommend changing which program will open your Works 9 file. Please see Windows support page here to learn more about changing the default. If Works 9 does not show up in the list of programs to choose from, go to Choose default program, and then locate the file on your C: Drive. 

Please let me know if this works. It soudns like when you upgraded, some of the defaults were lost. 

Jesyka 🙂

I work on behalf of HP. #HPExpertsDay

Please click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you. Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is resolved.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your solution.  I followed your directions but could not find MS Works on the list of programs listed in the defult menu. 

I did find Note Pad listed

I checkec the defurlt mention in my =Wins 7 comptuer and found that Note pad was checked in the default menu so I checked Note Pad in the default menu of my laptop running Wins 10. 

That seemed to fix the problem.  I no longer receive the invitatioin to purchase MS Office on my laptop. 

I am curious why MS Works is not listed in the default menu of either my desktop computer running Wins 7 or the my laptop computer running Wins. 10 

I am greatful that you put me on the right road.

Thank you......Bill  

HP Recommended

Just realized you did mention how to deal with inserting a program that is not listed in the defult menu.    I will get back to you when I firure it all out.   Bill

HP Recommended

Please forgive my ignorance.   I am 82 years old and the old brain is not as fast as it once was.  I found MS works on the C drive and tried unsuccessfully to move it to the default menu list.   Would you mind walking me thorught that procedure?   Bill 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.