Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

PDF Complete came pre-installed on my HP Pavilion desktop.  Recently, every time I open a PDF document, I get a prompt to update to the latest version.   I've done the update several times, and I keep checking the box that says "Do not show this message in the future", but this prompt keeps popping up.  How can I stop this annoying prompt?  I'm about ready to uninstall PDF Complete.   thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@DrewMon

@DrewMon wrote:

PDF Complete came pre-installed on my HP Pavilion desktop.  Recently, every time I open a PDF document, I get a prompt to update to the latest version.   I've done the update several times, and I keep checking the box that says "Do not show this message in the future", but this prompt keeps popping up.  How can I stop this annoying prompt?  I'm about ready to uninstall PDF Complete.   thank you.

I would certainly uninstall any software that annoys me.  Smiling.

Looks like it is paid software -- the program that came installed on your computer may well be a trial version anyway.  (If it is trial, you need to buy a license to use (or continue to use) the program.)  That being the case (trial software), you can "get it back" by visiting the product's web site and purchasing the software.

Edits - Content removed as noted "Unhelpful"  22-Apr-2017

Lack of diplomacy notwithstanding, the point made by krzemien is understood to be well intended.

Avoiding (the use of) annoying or misbehaving software works without making a choice whether to remove the offending software.

Easy and done.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

It is not trial software.  Says it's free to use as long as I have this desktop unit, so I don't have to purchase a licensed copy, and the popup message says nothing about that - just that I need to update the software. 

Just looking for a way to stop this prompt from popping up every time I open a PDF file.  No sense applying the recommended update any more, have done that several times, as the prompt will re-appear even right after I do the update if I open a PDF file.

HP Recommended

Yeah, rather unhelpful answer from HP bod - and interesting approach indeed...

Anyway, for starters, did you try any of these?

https://www.howtogeek.com/237512/how-to-change-the-default-pdf-reader-in-windows-10/

I also had to faff around a bit when I installed Adobe Reader on a clean Windows 10 installation - and one of these (I think this one: Change the Default by Using Default Programs in Control Panel) eventually worked for me.

HP Recommended

I've always used Adobe Reader, but don't care for the new interface.  I had not used Edge as a PDF viewer, just tried it and I like it, will set that as my defualt reader.  Thanks for the reply.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.