Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline 260-p109
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried to download an HP recommended update to my new computer. Norton suggeted I stop and quarantine it.

The down load was HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS update( ROM Family SS1D81B4)  7.65 MB

Norton said severity high 081b4f18.exe9  (Sonar. Heuristic158 detected by sonar.I stopped the down load and quarantined it. 

Do I need this update plus the other 9 that HP recommends? My computer skills are somewhat limited!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @mjm67,

I reviewed the post completely. As @MKazi is out of office for the day, I will be assisting you with this. 

Norton is falsely reporting that the file sp79576.exe is a virus. It is an authentic HP bios update that can be safely installed on the computer. It is from a reliable HP website that is downloaded by thousands every day. You can safely install it.You can install any update safely from the HP support site. It will not contain any viruses.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. 🙂

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.  🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@mjm67

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Slimline 260-p109 Desktop PC and have received notifications for a few HP updates. I read that Norton stopped a BIOS update and said severity high. There are a total of 9 updates that you have received. I'll surely help you with this case. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Did you receive the notification through the HP Support Assistant?
  • The latest BIOS update released by HP for your PC was on Mar 28, 2017 (version F.18 Rev.A, File name: sp79576.exe (7.7 MB)). Does it indicate anywhere on your PC that it is the same update it is trying to download?
  • Any other issues that you are facing with the PC?
  • Could you let me know the names of the other updates?

Meanwhile, I would suggest that if it is not the same BIOS update than the one I have mentioned then you may ignore or cancel it. Sometimes the HP Support Assistan will display general updates roled out for other computers also. 

• If you want important updates installed automatically, click Install important updates automatically when possible.

• If you want important and recommended updates installed automatically, click Install important and recommended updates automatically when possible.

• To view more install options, click More options.

• If you want to choose which updates to install, click Check for updates, but let me choose when updates to download and install.

• If you do not want HP Support Assistant to check for updates, click Never check for updates. You can even manually perform updates.

• To view the data collected by HP, click View computer data collected and sent to HP during HP scans and updates. A Data Collected by HP window opens.

Please refer to this HP article to know more about the HP Support Assistant. 

Hope this information helps. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. I've just recently stated up this computer. This was a recommended download from HP Support. The file sp79576.exe is the one I was trying to download although I have no idea what it is for! No other issues so far and I have now registered for automatic updates. What do you think. Norton seems to be telling me only 5  people have downloaded this and it might be a trojan virus??

HP Recommended

Hi @mjm67,

I reviewed the post completely. As @MKazi is out of office for the day, I will be assisting you with this. 

Norton is falsely reporting that the file sp79576.exe is a virus. It is an authentic HP bios update that can be safely installed on the computer. It is from a reliable HP website that is downloaded by thousands every day. You can safely install it.You can install any update safely from the HP support site. It will not contain any viruses.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. 🙂

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.  🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @mjm67,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.  

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.