Model # a6655F Desktop PC

X4 Quad Core Processor

5GB DDR2 SDRAM

Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Service Pack 1

MS Office Word 07 Student Version

AT&T Broadband

AOL 9.1

At the bottom of the window I was working in (I don't remember which one, I would notice that It said, Protected Mode ON. I was disconnected with my Broadband for a few hours. When I got reconnected, I noticed, at the bottom of the window, that it now said, Protected Mode OFF.

Where/how do I turn the computer's Protected Mode ON?

Should it always be turned On?

Sorry, I can't find the window that was displaying that information.

Accepted Solution

Re: Protected Mode ON/OFF

HI,

Here is a link to a web page that explains it. Personally I turn UAC off and am not pestered with the warnings. But that is my own choice.

Regards,

Eric

Message Edited by erico on 01-16-2009 01:57 PM
View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 5 (4,535 Views)

[ Edited ]

HI,

Here is a link to a web page that explains it. Personally I turn UAC off and am not pestered with the warnings. But that is my own choice.

Regards,

Eric

Message Edited by erico on 01-16-2009 01:57 PM
If you would like to say thanks, just click on the thumbs up icon.

If your problem is solved please click the Options link and then the "Accept as Solution" button
Top Student
Message 3 of 5 (4,483 Views)

Hi, Eric, thank you.

I know NOTHING about the 'Protected Mode'. On/Off to me meant that I have an additional safety factor from an online attack. 

This is the problem with HP not giving a paper copy of PC Instructions/Information. I have to guess at things. Who makes a big purchase and doesn't get the instruction booklet? I feel sorry for the person who buys this PC as his FIRST PC. <a rant> Sorry.

ginaHML

Top Student
Message 4 of 5 (4,477 Views)

Hi, Eric,

I spoke too soon, sorry. I see that UAC is a Windows Vista issue. I've not heard the term UAC. BTW, the link that you provided says " the requested resource is not available".

GinaHML

Provost
Message 5 of 5 (4,519 Views)

Hi Gina,

I updated the link for you.

Regards,

Eric

If you would like to say thanks, just click on the thumbs up icon.

If your problem is solved please click the Options link and then the "Accept as Solution" button
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation