08-29-2010 02:13 PM
My PC takes up to 8 minutes to load Windows 7 (not any programs, just the OS). Only 2 weeks ago it was loading in approximately 2 minutes. When I run "Troubleshoot Problems" it tells me that Windows is loading programs automatically which may slow down the loading. I go to "Startup" and find about 20 programs there, but I have no idea what is necessary and what can be 'shutoff'. Can anyone help me? Thanks
08-29-2010 05:42 PM
Here is a list of things to try if your PC is slow:
- Download cookienator (it's a freebie) and clean house.
- Open my Computer and right mouse click on the hard drive --> properties --> Disk cleanup
- Start Internet Exployer --> Tools--> Internet Option --> delete browsing history
- Open my Computer and right mouse click on the hard drive --> properties --> Tools --> Defrag now
- Open my Computer and right mouse click on the hard drive --> properties --> Tools --> Check now
- Open the RUN Window and enter the following commands:
sfc/scannow --------> this will verify your critical system files and attempt repairs
7. Open the RUN Window and enter the following command: chkdsk
8. Reboot and see how things go.
08-29-2010 06:37 PM
Thank you for responding to my problem. I did all of the things you suggested before (I assume when you directed me to "My Computer" you meant "Computer". I cannot find an icon/program "My Computer"). I also cannot find a "RUN" window, so I was not able to do the commands you suggested. I went to the box on the lower left of the screen and typed in "Run", it returned an icon which I clicked on, but there was no place to put in those commands you said to do. I have 8 gb of RAM and don't understand why it is so slow. I am still trying to figure out what programs to remove from the "Startup" menu. GThank you again for the assistance you gave me.
08-29-2010 06:40 PM
Thank you for your assistance. I have already gone to the MSCONFIG site, but I am still unable to determine what stays and what goes. I will go to the website you suggested, it will take me awhile to review over 1300 program names. Thank you again.
03-28-2013 10:40 AM
I have one unit of Compaq CQ1000 running on Win 7, initially it works fine, however, after about 6 months, it become very slow in starting up. it tooks around 30 minutes to complete start up so that you can run Win office. even I delete many startup program in MSconfig, but it still fail to perform.
Finally I format the whole drive and re install Win 7, it went back to normal. unfortunately, after 6 months, it become very slow again.
Now, I only hibernate the pc, then it will start up fast. If i shut down, it will take very long time! pls help.
03-28-2013 11:11 AM - last edited on 02-23-2017 04:38 PM by OscarFuentes
Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!