Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My tower is not booting up when I turn it on.  My son took the side off and was going to put more memory in it for me, but in the end he didn't.  He put the old memory back in and put the side casing back on.  Today, when I turn it on, it has 1 short beep and 1 long beep.  It just won't boot up.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get it back up and running?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

RBurke, welcome to the forum.

The BIOS Beep Code that you are hearing is caused by a memory problem.  Here is a guide that will help solve the problem:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

You should read the entire page.  The beep codes common to HP computers are toward the bottom of the page.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

RBurke, welcome to the forum.

The BIOS Beep Code that you are hearing is caused by a memory problem.  Here is a guide that will help solve the problem:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

You should read the entire page.  The beep codes common to HP computers are toward the bottom of the page.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended
Kudos! Thanks for your help, It's back up and running.
HP Recommended
I have the same beep code issue. The solution page is non-existent now. Any solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
HP Recommended

it seems the link is valid again now.  it is a memory problem. I had two brands of memory that must have been incompatible. worked after I took the mismatched/bad ones out.

HP Recommended
I've got the same problem but I have replaced the memory and it still does it does anyone have a solution
HP Recommended

I have replaced the memory modules on my PC and it still does not boot up, and keeps making the Short and Long Beeping sound. I can see the fans spining, I can hear the hard drive click a few times but nothing happens on the screen.

HP Recommended

@ElMatador1177, welcome back to the forum.

Is your model the same as the original thread?  If not, please furnish the model of your computer.

In the future, you should start you own thread.  This thread was originally created in 2013.  You will get far more responses in a new thread.

HP Recommended
Hello @old_geekster thanks for the feedback. I did start a new thread.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.