Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion p6531p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I can not enter bios because my USB keyboard is not recognized until windows 7 comes up.  I need to press a keyboard key to enter bios but the keyboard does not work during the boot sequence. 

My computer is a HP Pavilion p6531p product number ww599aa#aba with an American Megatrends motherboard version 6.03 dated 4/12/2010.

I bought the computer new and have never attempted to enter the bios before now.  This motherboard does not have the old keyboard, mouse style connections.  It uses a USB keyboard or nothing.

I need to get into the bios to change the boot sequence.  I have disconnected all USB devices but keyboard.  I have tried the keyboard in all USB ports on the computer at boot.  I have tried holding power key down when booting.  All efforts to enter my bios has failed.

When this computer boots, I see the window which says press F10 to enter setup, but this is not possible with no keyboard.  The keyboard works perfectly once Windows boots up.

Very frustrated.  Thanks in advance. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

On the following web page there is a document about the motherboard installed in your PC. See the clearing BIOS password section. There are images and an explanation of how it is done.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6000-Desktop-PC-series/4162263/model/4216549/docume...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

My computer is not asking for a password when booting.  It is not asking for a password to get into Bios.

My problem is that my USB keyboard is not recognized until Windows 7 loads.  Therefore I can not get into Bios because I have no keyboard until after the computer has finished booting.  I can not install the old type keyboard because there is no connection for this type keyboard on my motherboard.

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

After much experimentation, I solved my own probem.  I unhooked everything from the USB ports.  I removed both hard drives and had nothing in the Optical drive.  I then plugged my HP keyboard into the front USB port (which is the fastes USB port on this machine) and booted up the computer.  I was then able to use the keyboard to get into the Bios.  Success !!! LOL.  It only took me 2 weeks to figure this out.  Hope this helps someone else.

HP Recommended

Yes this happens to me too. The solution seems to be to unplug all other USBs at startup. Everything was fine and booted immediately to the wireless keyboard that came with it. But when I kept losing characters I switched to a wired KB and this started to happen. Apparently BIOS is confused by any other USB device on startup and stops looking for a KB. Make sure your UEFI is up to date with latest HW update. Really frustrating every time I reboot I have to do this.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.