Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Touch Smart 300 PC and have had it for about 8 months with no problems. It suddenly started slowing down & freezing ( I am able to move the cursor around but unable to close any windows or shut pc down correctly) I am also unable to access task manager due to an error message. I ran the HP diagnostics at boot up and received the following message: BIOHD-8 A SMART test failed testing ST3750528AS (5VP4W8LJ). I tried to run system restore however it was unable to find any restore points. I am downloading the upgrade 4  to disk from another pc and will install manually to see if that helps. Thanks in advance for any responses.  :generic:  Here is some additional specs:

Running Windows 7

Model No. 300-1223

Product No. WW645AA-ABA

Serial No. {Removed for privacy}

Software Build No. A1NAv6PrA8

Service ID No. 061-71

Pavilion

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The error you are getting - BIOHD-8 - does indeed indicate that your Hard Drive is failing and you will need to replace it with a new HDD.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Hi,

The error you are getting - BIOHD-8 - does indeed indicate that your Hard Drive is failing and you will need to replace it with a new HDD.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

If you need a guide on replacing the Hard Drive in your PC, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

It appears that I'm having the same problem....BIOHD-8 Error Code.... SMART Test Failure. I've had my HP Pavilion since March 2009 been running fine until recently. I will need help to solve this problem right.

So indeed will I need to buy a new Hard drive for my HP Pavilion 6700 with windows Vista 64bit edition? If so please point me in the right direction. Thank You.

Yours Truly

Dreiser91786

HP Recommended

Looks as if I am having the same problem and can use a heads up on where I can obtain one (hard drive) also.. I looked on Ebay and didnt see any that quite fit the description.. and the ones that said they were compatible with my pc were 5400rpm instead of 7200rpm.. I have a HP Touchsmart IQ506.  Thanks for any help you can give me..

Loni

HP Recommended

You can buy a new hard drive in many places (millions actually), a 5400RPM will run a bit slower but a lot quieter.

90% of the 3.5" hard drives out there are compatible with your system.

2 caveats to make things easier:

Do not buy a 2TB or higher drive.

Do not buy a drive marked "Advanced format"

HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion 6000 series here with the same issue as discussed. I looked at other forums outside of H P and the feeling is that the motherboard is the issue. One of the forums has an individual that install three seperate hard drives all eventually had this same issue and after they spoke with tech support they had the motherboard replaced and the problem was resolved.

I have purchased a new hard drive for this unit and will install it but I am concerned that I will see this issue again in the future due to a motherboard issue.

Comments please ......................

Cornerstone

HP Recommended

I just solved BIOHD-8 problem on friends HP Compaq dx2420.

Hitachi HDD.

Downloaded Drive Fitness Test from http://www.hitachigst.com/suport/downloads , made CD image, boot with CD.

Quict test didn't return any errors, but advanced test did and continued with erase disc utilitie. After erasing advanced test - no errors, HP boot diagnostic - only BIOHD-3 (no boot).

Just installing Windows and everything seems fine.

HP Recommended

Well, im going through the same issue today 12/17/11, and waiting for the harddrive, I have also seen these other posts about the mother board? how did it turn out for any you?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.