Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hey thank,. just one more question, do i have to back-up my files before replacing my hand drive?
HP Recommended

Yes, when you replace your hard drive, you will want to back up the files and data that you don't want to lose.  Then, after uninstalling the old hard drive and installing the new one, you will need to restor the data that you backed up.

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hey all, I have a quad core HP with a ST31000333as (9TE1S4Z9) with error code BIOHD-8 smart test failure.  The computer will not boot off the windows 7 disk.  i tell it to go to the recovery (F11) and you here the cd drive spin up and the screen says starting windows but never changes.  The mouse pointer after about 10 minutes appears bigger than usual with nothing else on the screen.  Suggestions??

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Mechanic1,

I understand you are getting error code BIOHD-8 smart test failure. You might test different system utilities and command such as chkdks /r and see if this can help to fix the issue. When you F11 to system recovery it should give you an option to restore the Windows to an earlier time. Here is a link to do Microsoft System Restore.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01612373

Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I did actually get a dos prompt from A Floopy and could not even see a directory on drive C:  through command prompt.

I tried both chkdsk and scandisk with no results.  When I hit F11 it does not give me any options.  I am doing this with the rescue disk in the cd drive and it is spinning up the disk while saying starting windows and seems to get stuck there.  After 10 or so minutes the starting windows flag it disapears and I get just a large mouse pointer with nothing else on the screen.  The HDD light is working so I let it go for hours and it finally stops and nothing else.   I have tried F11 without a boot disk and as soon as the starting windows pane starts the screen gos blank.  you are suggesting unplugging everything but the monitor and going at it again?  I have just a few really important documents I need to get.  For history recent issues only a flash of the screen and then it would tell me the driver for the display stopped working and then restarted (seconds)  I do not think it is a video issue although I may have to update the drivers if i can get in.  ost important to me is the files.  I have had installed a 1 TB book drive on a usb port (2.0) for storing movies but for some reason windows 7 would not accept it as a viable place to store back up files.  This thing is driving me nuts!

HP Recommended
Hi Mechanic1,

When performing a hard reset, you must disconnect or remove all peripheral devices. The boot orders can be configured on the Advanced tab in the BIOS settings menu. The steps for modifying the boot order may vary depending on the model of the computer.
F9  Boot Device Options on start-up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

currently it is cd drive, floppy then HDD.  The HDD is partioned from the factory but I upgraded from vista to win 7 so the recovery drive is useless.

HP Recommended

Hey Mechanic1,

You might have to go to factory first, then install the upgrade for Windows 7.

Thanks

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I  do appreciate some help if possible , Have this HP pavilion for a long time, works great, but in the last 2 weeks gave me a error when i start the computer BIOHD-8 , hard disk error do a backup , and replace he hard drive, i do understand HD have problems, so i replace the hard drive, and start the computer and the same error BIOHD-8 telling me the new hard drive has errors and needs to be replace,  i try several hard drives from other computer and ALL had the "same Error" so I try to use the "original hard drive on other computer ,and works like normal no errors , I belive must be a problem with the mother board or bios set up. so I did load the stander bios setup and no luck. 

Can anyone relate to this problem? can be fix or do i need a new motherboard ? 

Please help

thanks a lot

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.