Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm trying to run my PS3 through the HP ENVY Recline 23-k009c TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC's hdmi input.  I tried it on Windows 8.0 but no luck, system asked me to update.

I'm now running Windows 8.1.  

I've plugged in a working hdmi cable from the ps3 (also fully funtional), then when I press the HDMI in button on the bottom left of the computer, nothing happens.

Nothing.  No black screen, no menu. Nothing.

I tried updating the HP Picture in Picture software, but it won't run on Windows 8.1.

I tried installing Portrait's version of the HP picture in Picture software (as I understand it they are the actual producer of the software through contract with HP), and it nearly bricked my machine which was rather troublesome.

I've refreshed my Windows 8.1, tried searching for drivers, and hit several forum posts that have the same issue but no working answers.

And I've been repeatedly re-linked to these pages which have not worked in my situation:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03058558

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04092080

I am at a loss. It seems like I am missing something, but I can't figure out what and so far the HP website has been a bust.  Also the HP auto detect for updates and driver software foud nothing.

I really want to get this working.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Dothika,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! 

I have read your post on how you are not able to successfully connect your PS3 to your HP Envy Recline, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

Since the steps taken in Connecting HDMI Devices to Your Computer (Windows 😎 are not working, I recommend restoring the original software and drivers that came with your computer. This can be done by following this document on Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 😎. Once the software is installed, please use the HP Support Assistant to update all of the newly installed drivers.

For further assistance, I will need to know:

1. If you have tried a second HDMI cable between your Envy Recline and the TV.
  2. If you have attempted to connect your desktop to another HDMI compatible device.
  3. If your computer has completed all of its important Windows Updates.
  4. If this is an on-going, or recent issue.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, as well as the requested information above. I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Okay, about 2 days after I posted I managed to do something and it worked as it should.

But what ever I did stopped working.

AS I vaugely recall I reinstalled the HP My Display software and unistalled the HP Picture in Picture software that blackscreened me... but I am not sure. Either way it doesn't work now.

I've tried restoring old versions of drivers as well as tried updating drivers.

Installed and reinstalled stock software.

Nothing.

1. The hdmi cord is fine. Tried a diffrent one as well, no change.

2. Same issue with connecting any other device.

3.I'm up to date, running 8.1. Issue was also present when I was running stock 8.

4. It was solved for about a month, although I don't know how or why, but the issue is back. Persistant since the day I uinboxed it.

Pressing the button to switch to HDMI in does nothing.  The appropriate menue never opens. Nothing changes over to the imput.

Not sure what else to try.  I don't believe that the hardware of the HDMI in port or the HDMI in button are a part of the issue.  

HP Recommended

Well it works again.

After a nightmare time of uninstalling HP My Display (took 5 tries and 3 restarts) I surfed more hp forums where lots of people had the same problem.

Seems relatively consistent that the people who weren't having hardware issues ended up with compatability issues after the 8.1 update.  

SO, after unistalling HP My Display, updating drivers again, I reinstalled the exact same My Display that I suffered through unistalling and now it works.

Don't know why. But it does. For now.

Feeling like this will be the last PC I buy from HP.  I'll build my own next time.

HP Recommended

the solution for me was to:

hit the windows button and type 'hp my display'

Now your hdmi button should work.

to make this permanent on reboot go to the options tab in the hp my display UI and check off 'run as system start-up'.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.