Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Envy 700-200z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I was setting up my HP Envy 700-200z to use it for heavier programmer development when I noticed I also had a DIV video port on the back.  So I ordered another flat panel monitor which turned out to be a Vga-only.

So I bought a new VGA to DIV adaptor cord.

Nothing happened.  I confirmed the new to me flat screen worked by plugging it into the VGA port.

I have another working DIV to VGA adaptor on another box so I tried that one.  Still dead.  It is dead when I try to use the solo DIV jack without anything plugged into the Vga jack.

I think I can reasonably assume that there is some kind of problem with the DIV-D jack or other hardware.  Neither of my DIV adaptors happily fit onto the DIV jack.

I have poked around in the bios and can't see anything that would appear to disable the DIV port?  Unless it is something to do with the "secure" port stuff.

Since all this testing I managed to crash the operating system and nothing I could do would recover my Win10 so I migrated back to a Win7 setup.  Yes, I had to enable Legacy boot before I could get anything but a Linux distro to boot.

I have not yet tried the DIV jack test again because the file restore has been painfully slow (and still in progress).

Any ideas on how I can diagnose what the issue is with the DIV jack?

Thanks,

Tom G

///
"Without [public] Data, you are just another person with an Opinion." W. Edward Demings, Data Scientist
---
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts." Senator and Professor Patrick Moynihan
---
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your machine uses MS-7778 motherboard which has 1 VGA port and 1 DVI port which can be used at the same time:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03343058

Looks like you have 2 monitors but both only have VGA connectors. Now, from DVI to VGA is from digital to analog, you need a proper adapter/converter. Please check your cable. I've got few adapters (I know they work) but I can't find their name, they are similar to the following one:

enter image description here

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your machine is a CTO machine therefore you can have 1 of the following options

Must select one of the following options:
  • Integrated Graphics
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (4 GB)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 (2 GB)

Do you have NVIDIA card on your computer ? If yes, the DVI port may belong to Internal Graphics and it has been disabled.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,  I am sorry if I was not clear.  I am using the integrated video system.  There are no expansion cards of any type (that I can see) when I open up the case.  The bios does not appear to have any settings that effect the video systems, that I can see.

Thank you for the reminder of which video cards could be used for an upgrade.  At this time, my goal is two monitors at a minimum expense.  I have the monitors I don't seem to have the working video ports.

Since I am not talking about graphics intensive programming development environment I am presuming the integrated graphics will be more than adequate.

Thank you,

Tom

///
"Without [public] Data, you are just another person with an Opinion." W. Edward Demings, Data Scientist
---
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts." Senator and Professor Patrick Moynihan
---
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your machine uses MS-7778 motherboard which has 1 VGA port and 1 DVI port which can be used at the same time:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03343058

Looks like you have 2 monitors but both only have VGA connectors. Now, from DVI to VGA is from digital to analog, you need a proper adapter/converter. Please check your cable. I've got few adapters (I know they work) but I can't find their name, they are similar to the following one:

enter image description here

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

The problem appears to be that I have been trying to use the "wrong" DIV to VGA adaptor.

The Plug into that I have on the back of the HP 700-200z is a DIV with a horizon blade on one side of the plug.

ALL the adaptors that I have bought or already had have that same horizontal blade BUT have 4 pins too.  On the PC in question, there are no holes for those 4 pins.  So presumably I need to locate an adaptor without those pins.  One of the adaptors I have has severally bent pins so I may or may not be able to bend them back into place and make it usable.

Additionally, I don't know if simply removing the pins so they are not shorting anything out will solve the problem either.  But as I and the experts have speculated, this is apparently a hardware problem related to the adaptor.

Tom

///
---
---
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.