Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion p6650z PC with NVIDIA GeForce GT 240, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  Identical ViewSonic monitors, both work fine in dual mode on old XP box. 

On the HP box, though both monitors are connected (one directly to the DVI port and the other to the VGA port with an adapter), only the primary monitor (direct connection) displays.  Both monitors are detected, and both are set to Extend.  In other words, all the settings look fine, and according to the NVIDIA control panel, I have the latest graphics driver.  But the secondary monitor is completely blank.  Yes, it is turned on.  If I try to move a window to it, the window simply disappears off the primary monitor.

How can I get the second monitor to display?

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi Sunhiker,

Try the article and see if it helps.

Is it the secondary monitor using the adapter that is not working?  What is the input source in the monitor set to for input type?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@Big_Dave wrote:

Hi Sunhiker,

Try the article and see if it helps.

Is it the secondary monigor using the adapter that is not working?  What is the input source in the monitor set to for input type?

It is the secondary monitor that is not working.  I'm not sure how to determine what is the "input source in the monitor".  None of the quirky side buttons on the monitor itself function in the absence of a signal. 

IIRC, these monitors were supposed to be usable either in VGA or DVI mode; I bought them a couple of years ago.  Instead of an adapter, should I use a VGA cable?  There is a second port on each monitor, and it might well be a VGA port.  Hard to tell without standing them on their heads, a challenge for those of us with bad backs.  But it looks like the right size and shape.

--C

HP Recommended

Hi,

This is a VGA cable.

.VGA cable.jpg

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@Big_Dave wrote:

Hi,

This is a VGA cable.

.VGA cable.jpg

Yes, that looks like the same connector.  Are you suggesting that to get the secondary monitor working I need to use its VGA port instead of the DVI port, and connect that to the VGA port on the graphics card?  In other words, using a VGA to DVI adapter on the graphics card was not the way to go?  I'll have to go buy a VGA cable.

--C

HP Recommended

Hi,

Are you running the latest NVIDIA driver?

Go into the Control Panel ---> Nvidia Control Panel then locate Setup up Multiple Monitors.  Is the second monitor shown? If no, then in the same window click on the blue link --> my display is not shown and try the Rigorous Display Detection.

If both monitors are detected then check the resolution settings for the second monitor.

Were you using a different video card or connection type on your old XP PC?

You might try a Viewsonic monitor reset. I don't know how Viewsonic does it but on a HP monitor you unplug the monitor power cord and hold down the power button for 30-60 seconds.

If your GT 240 has the HDMI port then you might want to consider a HDMI to DVI adapter or use a prebuilt HDMI-->DVI cable for your second monitor connection.

HP Recommended

@Big_Dave wrote:

Hi,

Are you running the latest NVIDIA driver?

Go into the Control Panel ---> Nvidia Control Panel then locate Setup up Multiple Monitors.  Is the second monitor shown? If no, then in the same window click on the blue link --> my display is not shown and try the Rigorous Display Detection.

If both monitors are detected then check the resolution settings for the second monitor.

Were you using a different video card or connection type on your old XP PC?

You might try a Viewsonic monitor reset. I don't know how Viewsonic does it but on a HP monitor you unplug hte monitor power cord and hold down the power button for 30-60 seconds.

If your GT 240 has the HDMI port then you might want to consider a HDMI to DVI adapter or use a prebuilt HDMI-->DVI cable for your second monitor connection.

Yes, I had already downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA and installed it:

Version: 266.58 WHQL Release Date: 2011.01.18

The second monitor is shown just fine in the NVIDIA control panel.  Both are detected, both show the same native resolution, though the choice of resolutions is a longer list for the secondary monitor.

The video card on my XP system has two DVI ports.  The GT 240 on my W7 system  has one DVI and one VGA port.  I was hoping I could get away with just using a VGA to DVI adapter on the VGA port, and continue using the DVI cable.

It was someone on this board who recommended the GT 240 when I inquired what video card with two ports would work with my nice new HP system.  I guess I should have been more specific.  Based on what's in my XP system, I just assumed the card would have two DVI ports. 

--C

HP Recommended

Sunhiker,

I have the EVGA GT 240 1GB DDR5 in one of my PCs and it's a card that I frequently recommend for PCs with 300+ watt power supplies.

www.pccables.com has cheap cables that work.

Your GT 240 has a total of three ports, right ? (DVI,HDMI and VGA)

Open up your PC and read the label on the PSU. What is the total wattage and the amperage on the 12+ volt bus?

HP Recommended

Um, no, the video card has only two ports: DVI and VGA.  Awkward to open the case right now; instead I'll try to check the specs for this model, the p6650z.

--C

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have never seen a two port GT 240.  Who made that card?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.