08-30-2011 08:21 PM
So I borked my bios. I was installing the latest bios update on my touchsmart tm2 and the update program simply quit. After restarting I get a blank screen with randomly flashing lights and a fan that sits at 100% speed and haven't been able to recover. From my research the fix for this kind of issue is normally to hit windows + B as you start the computer, then it will read a previous version of the bios from the hp recovery partition. However I'm one of those people that "cleaned" out the hp stuff from my computer by installing a non-hp version of Windows 7, which eliminated the recovery partition.
I've also tried pulling the cmos battery/main battery and draining the mobo of power for 30 mins. And I've tried the "hard reset" procedure. All no dice.
Before I send this off to HP and pay the out of warranty repair costs, I had one more idea I'd like advice on. I was wondering if I could use the recovery dvd to create a recovery partition on the laptop's drive using another computer (via external encloser), then use that to recover a working bios. Before I waste time waiting for the dvd to arrive I need to know:
1. Will a recovery disc for a touchsmart tm2 let me create a recovery partition using another computer?
2. Does a fresh recovery partition even contain a bios recovery or is that only created when the bios update istriggered?
3. Are there any services out there that will repair my bios for less than $350?
08-30-2011 08:32 PM
Shotlivermutton, welcome to the forum.
I wish that I had better news, but there is no easy way to retrieve the BIOS. At this point, you basically have a door stop. There are Internet companies who can flash a BIOS for you, but you have to be able to remove the BIOS chip. This may not be possible if HP solders the BIOS chip to the motherboard. Doing a System Recovery won't solve your problem.
HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)
HP Omen X; i7-6700K; 16 GB DDR4 2133; GTX 1070; 256 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home
HP Photosmart 7520 AIO
|**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**|
Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!
I am not an HP employee.
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP All-in-One PCs - Troubleshooting Touch Screen Issues (Windows 8)