12-27-2013 05:32 AM - edited 12-27-2013 05:33 AM
We just purchased this HP 500-164 at our local Best Buy. We would like to add a larger PSU and a dedicated Graphics Card. Any recommendations for either? We currently have a 300W PSU - cannot possibly work for a new card. Thanks
01-07-2014 02:09 PM
I don't have specific recommendation for a dedicated graphics card, but you are going to want to look for a PCI Express x16 graphics cards (Gen 2.0 speed). Depending on the card that you do choose, you would need to look at the specifications, to update your PSU accordingly.
01-07-2014 03:47 PM - last edited on 02-24-2017 02:13 PM by OscarFuentes
This Corsair CX500 is onsale at it's a terrrific buy at $30 after rebate.
Most PCI-E verrsion 3 video cards (with some exceptions) and backward compatible with the version 3 PCI-E slot in your PC.
The below HP posted article may help you with issues whern installing a discrete video card in your PC.
If you can tell us what applications are in need of improved video performance then we can make a video card suggestion.
09-27-2015 04:29 AM
Hi, I have the HP Pavilion 500-164 and I want to upgrade my psu and gpu. I'd like to upgrade to the MSI GTX 960, but I've heard that my case would be too small and I would block air circulation.I know I would need to get a 600 watt psu from cosair and a case, do I need a new motherboard as well or can the MS-7778 Jasmine be alright with it?
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP All-in-One PCs - Troubleshooting Touch Screen Issues (Windows 8)