Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

CUTELINKS. If you can. unplug everything from your computer even the power. open her up and locate the mother board. somewhere near the battery there should be your jumpers to clear/reset your BIOS or CMOS.  personally when i do a reset, i even take the motherboard battery out, but im not all that positive if you really have to or not, but ive always done it that way. so u can remove the battery from the motherboard and move the jumpers to the "CLEAR OR RESET BIOS/CMOS POSITION" and leave it in that position for atleast 30 minutes. again this is my pesonal way of doing it, im not sure how long you should really do it but 30 minutes always worked for me. it gives plenty of time for any charge left in any of the transistors or whatever to clear. once 30 minutes is up, move the jumper back to its original position, put the battery back in and try to boot her up. if it works, the first thing to do is go online and update the BIOS. if not you will continue to keep having the same problem pretty much everytime u turn the computer off and on again and you dont want that sooo UPDATE THE BIOS. RIGHT AWAY. DONT HESITATE. JUST DO IT!!!

HP Recommended

d0eb0y, thanks for your advice. I have taken the CMOS reset steps several times in the past and it has not yielded lasting positive result. The only time  my computer came up, it could not boot up the BIOS, it only showed a blinking cursor on a blank screen and any key i pressed displayed an error ' no disk or boot device found, please insert disk' I guess the bios wouldnt even let me update it because the  bios is corrupt

HP Recommended

Hey d0eb0y,

I was able to successfully get my HP ENVY 20 PC to boot back up to the home screen (after I pull the power, battery, & jumper from PC) I went ahead and searched for & updated Bios driver to 8.16. (previous driver was older version from 2012) but after trying to install updated driver (PC froze and I let PC on overnight & powered off PC the nxt morning after PC was still frozen... now PC is stuck on HP screen for a good while...

I press F1 or ESC and the following messsage shows up:

Processor Type: Intel(R) Core (TM) i3-

330 CPU @ 3.30 GHz

Precessor Speed: 3300 MHz

Memory Size:  8192 MB DDR3 /1600 MHZ / Dual Channel

Channel A: XMM1 4096 MB

Channel B: XMM124096 MB

BIOS Revision/Date: v8.16 11/17/2014

Please HELP!!! Do you know what i can do? Or is there anyone out there that knows what I can do to get past the HP logo screen... Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello Raymondgt360 , If the system is stuck on the HP Logo screen, you might try pressing the F-11 key and perform the HP Recovery Restore.

This usually needs to be done pretty much right away after hitting the power button, it may take a couple or few tries to get it.

If your system has POSTed and is trying to pass control of the system over to the operating system,  you should be seeing a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top left corner of the black screen.

If this is the issue, there may be several causes for this to occur. The most likely would be a corrupted operating system, but also a failed hard drive.

If you are successful in pressing the F-11 key at the HP Logo screen and select to perform a HP Recovery Restore, you would loose all the data you have added to your computer since you recevied it from HP.

This would put the system back as it was when shipped or purchased. As it seems now, you may have allready lost the data, whether it be a corrupted operating system, or a failed hard drive.

If you have a Vista or Windows 7 DVD, you may could repair a Startup issue by inserting the DVD in the optical drive and trying to boot the system and select to repair startup issues.

Just some thoughts.

HP Recommended

cutelinks, sorry for the delayed response. you could also try using the f11 key as soon as u power on the machine and try to enter the HP RECOVERY Partition. The blinking cursor usually means that the BIOS is trying to pass over procedure to the operating system which somehow could have become corrupt during all of our tinkering. Mind you that you may lose all of your data if it hasnt been backed up but you may walk away with a working pc and the ability to fill it up with some new data

hope it helps

once u press the power button  keep pressing f11 key steadily and see if u can enter the recovery. it may take a few tries to get it right as the timing has to be perfect so give it a few go's if the first few dont work. thats really all i can think of,,,sorry. but atleast you have the blinking cursor and not a completely blank/black/dead screen

HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

I had the same issue with an HP ENVY 20, PC was stuck on blank screen after it was updated to Win10. I was a able sucessfully get the screen to come back up after following the process deatailed by your post on the HP forms...

(after I pull the power, battery, & jumper from PC) I went ahead and searched for the updated BIOS driver on the HP website & updated Bios driver to 8.16. (previous driver was older version from 2012) but after trying to install updated driver) PC froze and I let PC on overnight & powered off PC the next morning after PC was still frozen...) now PC is stuck on HP screen for a good while...

I've press F1 or ESC and the following messsage shows up:

Processor Type: Intel(R) Core (TM) i3-

330 CPU @ 3.30 GHz

Precessor Speed: 3300 MHz

Memory Size:  8192 MB DDR3 /1600 MHZ / Dual Channel

Channel A: XMM1 4096 MB

Channel B: XMM124096 MB

BIOS Revision/Date: v8.16 11/17/2014

I was able to get the the "System Recovery" feature only once, but it was unsuccessfull. PC is still stuck on HP logo screen and the same message shows up as mentioned above.

Any ideas of how I can get PC back up and running? Thanks.

Raymond.

HP Recommended

Hi Raymond,

Thanks very much for the message. As far as I know, no one has encountered this problem after they followed the procedure to restore their computers. Presuming the BIOS flashing process was complete and uninterrupted, I suspect the CMOS is not holding the appropriate data and it seems like the HDD is not registerd in the CMOS. Presumably, your system was not run long enough to charge up the charge-retention capacitor to retain the appropriate information stored in the CMOS when you successfully restored the computer. May I know did you do a hard or soft reboot and did you install the updated drivers for Windows 10 which HP put up on its Software and Drivers website after updating the BIOS to version 8.16? Is it possible to invoke the BIOS program at present? Could you let me know the response of the optical and hard disk drivers LED indicators, please? Presuming you are observing some kind of response from the optical and system drives, please try the following. Do you have any Windows startup disc or system recovery discs? If you do, please try to see if you can startup the computer using any of this disc by pressing the ESC key at powering up and select the appropriate option from the menu (if I remember correctly, it is the F10 key). Next, you may wish to try the following.

Approach 1: Try to trigger the response of the BIOS. Pull the power cord from the power outlet and disconnect the HDD power and SATA cables from the motherboard. Power up your computer and observe the computer response before forcing the computer to shutdown. Connect the HDD power and SATA cables back to the motherboard and power up the computer again. If unsuccessful, please proceed to Approach 2.

Approach 2: Remove the CMOS battery, press and hold the power button on the computer for 5 seconds or longer then release it to power up the computer. The computer should start up and automatically restart itself after probably within a minute or so to. This is to try to replenish the content of the CMOS. If the computer does automatically restart itself after you powered it up but the computer does not boot up successfully, please repeat this procedure. You may have to repeat this procedure many times before the computer finally boots up successfully. Recently, I had a similar problem with another HP computer and it took me a day and sometimes two days before I could finally replenish the CMOS and boot up the computer successfully. Hence, please be patient with it. If you are tired of trying, just pull the power cord from the power outlet, leave the computer aside with the CMOS battery removed and attend to it again in a day or two. On the other hand, if the computer does not automatically restart itself after you powered, try Approach 3.

Approach 3: Clear the CMOS once (with the CMOS battery removed) by setting the CLR_CMOS jumper and see how is your computer responding. If unsuccessful, try doing this a few more times. If still not successful, pull the power cord from the power outlet and leave the computer in that state for a day or two to drain the charge-retention capacitor; the time to drain the charge-retention capacitor depends on how long the computer has been turned on recently.

After you have successfully restored your computer, please let your computer run or work on your computer for at least 30 minutes before shutting it down and please remember to put the CMOS battery back to its holder.

At the same time, you may wish to try a system drive from another computer or a spare HDD/SSD on your HP ENVY 20 AIO PC if you have one and see how the HP ENVY 20 AIO PC responses. Similarly, you may wish to pop the original HDD of your HP ENVY 20 AIO PC into another computer and see how that computer responses.

Let's see how does your computer response to the above.

Best of luck!
Chris

HP Recommended

Hi Raymond,

Thanks very much for the message. As far as I know, no one has encountered this problem after they followed the procedure to restore their computers. Presuming the BIOS flashing process was complete and uninterrupted, I suspect the CMOS is not holding the appropriate data and it seems like the HDD is not registerd in the CMOS. Presumably, your system was not run long enough to charge up the charge-retention capacitor to retain the appropriate information stored in the CMOS when you successfully restored the computer. May I know did you do a hard or soft reboot and did you install the updated drivers for Windows 10 which HP put up on its Software and Drivers website after updating the BIOS to version 8.16? Is it possible to invoke the BIOS program at present? Could you let me know the response of the optical and hard disk drivers LED indicators, please? Presuming you are observing some kind of response from the optical and system drives, please try the following. Do you have any Windows startup disc or system recovery discs? If you do, please try to see if you can startup the computer using any of this disc by pressing the ESC key at powering up and select the appropriate option from the menu (if I remember correctly, it is the F10 key). Next, you may wish to try the following.

Approach 1: Try to trigger the response of the BIOS. Pull the power cord from the power outlet and disconnect the HDD power and SATA cables from the motherboard. Power up your computer and observe the computer response before forcing the computer to shutdown. Connect the HDD power and SATA cables back to the motherboard and power up the computer again. If unsuccessful, please proceed to Approach 2.

Approach 2: Remove the CMOS battery, press and hold the power button on the computer for 5 seconds or longer then release it to power up the computer. The computer should start up and automatically restart itself after probably within a minute or so to. This is to try to replenish the content of the CMOS. If the computer does automatically restart itself after you powered it up but the computer does not boot up successfully, please repeat this procedure. You may have to repeat this procedure many times before the computer finally boots up successfully. Recently, I had a similar problem with another HP computer and it took me a day and sometimes two days before I could finally replenish the CMOS and boot up the computer successfully. Hence, please be patient with it. If you are tired of trying, just pull the power cord from the power outlet, leave the computer aside with the CMOS battery removed and attend to it again in a day or two. On the other hand, if the computer does not automatically restart itself after you powered, try Approach 3.

Approach 3: Clear the CMOS once (with the CMOS battery removed) by setting the CLR_CMOS jumper and see how is your computer responding. If unsuccessful, try doing this a few more times. If still not successful, pull the power cord from the power outlet and leave the computer in that state for a day or two to drain the charge-retention capacitor; the time to drain the charge-retention capacitor depends on how long the computer has been turned on recently.

After you have successfully restored your computer, please let your computer run or work on your computer for at least 30 minutes before shutting it down and please remember to put the CMOS battery back to its holder.

At the same time, you may wish to try a system drive from another computer or a spare HDD/SSD on your HP ENVY 20 AIO PC if you have one and see how the HP ENVY 20 AIO PC responses. Similarly, you may wish to pop the original HDD of your HP ENVY 20 AIO PC into another computer and see how that computer responses.

Let's see how does your computer response to the above.

Best of luck!
Chris

HP Recommended

Hi Chris, this saved my computer. THANKYOU!!

I had replaced my HDD with an SSD drive and the computer booted once. I thought everything is fine untill I restarted the system after a few days and it never started. I am quite techie so I read many blogs/support sites and did everything that was recommended.

Removed mother board, reset all connections, upgraded the power supply to get more ampereage, and then I found this forum and the steps to try. I did the jumpers and CMOS clearing steps for atleast 50 times untill it booted and then I was able to update the BIOS. Learnt something totally new that a BIOS version can mess up a working system.

Thanks again Chris...this was really really helpful.

HP Recommended

Hi AjSingh,

Thank you very much indeed for sharing the great news. So happy for you and it is good that you persisted beyond 50 times because it can take countless time before the computer is finally restored. If you are running Windows 10, please do use compatible drivers for Windows 10 otherwise the computer could run into the sticky Blue Screen of Death and the operating system will have to be completely reinstalled. Perhaps it is a good practice is to backup your data and clone or create an image file of your system/data drive. If you are not already aware of this, you can use the clonezilla to clone of create an image file of your system/data drive. Clonezilla is a freeware and you can download it from http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php. Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MQUd2A92y0.

Warmest wishes,
Chris

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.