Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Thanks will do. I had trouble finding BIOS drivers though. I finally got via driverdetective software. While I upgraded the BIOS ( motherboard is Ladybird-B) it also shows me a message that my LPI component drivers need updating. I am really cautious to go in that area so any advice is appreciated .
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please take note BIOS version 8.16 Rev. A can be downloaded from the HP Software and Drivers website http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-20-d000-TouchSmart-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-ser... Personally, I would only use the executables supply by the manufacturers. As far as I know, no one has encountered a similar situation as yours. What you can do is to use device manager to check that all your drivers are up-to-date. You may wish to use HP Assistant Tool to check that your system is up-to-date too. In any case, it is good to be caution. If you do not already have a set of the HP System Recovery Discs (a total of 6/7 discs), perhaps you would like to create a set and keep it in a safe place so that you can completely restore your system to the original settings when needed. You may wish to take note of the product key of your operating system too just in case you need to perform a entirely fresh/clean installation of the operating system on your system. Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Chris

HP Recommended

Hey Chris,

Thanks for following up and giving me those different approches to try on the desktop. I've already tried approach #1 to try to get HP ENVY 20 TouchSmart AiO PC past the HP logo screen, but the same isseue is still occuring. I will definately try the other 2 approches.

To answer your questions:

"May I know did you do a hard or soft reboot and did you install the updated drivers for Windows 10 which HP put up on its Software and Drivers website after updating the BIOS to version 8.16?"

>I did not get a chance to update BIOS driver for WIn10. After failed attempt to update the driver to ver. 8.16. I restarted PC b/c screen froze (LEDs, power, fan, & hard drive was still on) the follwing morning. So I press the power button to force PC to restart & when PC restarted, PC could not go past Logo screen.

"Is it possible to invoke the BIOS program at present?"

>I can't get into BIOS b/c PC does not go past HP Logo and if I press ESC key, it just give me the generic system info. that I mentioned in last message. I was able to get PC to the "System Restore" feature ONLY ONCE since I have tried many many times to get PC past the logo screen. Yet, PC restarted to the HP logo screen.

"Could you let me know the response of the optical and hard disk drivers LED indicators, please?"

> I don't know when to locate the LEDs that you are refering to (I guess i don't see them, PC back cover & metal plate is off) but I can tell you that I can here and see the fan and HDD working...

"Do you have any Windows startup disc or system recovery discs?"

The PC that I'm working on is my father's, and he did not create a start up disk or system recovery disks. (He updated OS from Win8 to Win10, & three months later, issue with Blank screen happened...)

I've even gone online to locate a downloadable ISO of Win8... i was able to locate file and burn to DVD, but when DVD is placed on Optiocal Drive, nothing happens. I can hear the Optical drive spinning, but nothing.

I'm SO FRAUSTRATED with this PC. I felt at one point that i was so close to fixing this PC, now it feels like I'm so far from resolving the issue. I will try approach #2 & 3 and will give you an update. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Raymond.

HP Recommended

as soon as u power on the machine start pressing f11 key about once every second. That should put you right into the system recovery menu. You may have to try more than once to time it right. Literally, from the machine being completely off, as soon as u press the power button start pressing the F11 key.

And as far as using the copy of windows 8 u downloaded, you will have to get into the boot menu to change the boot order and have the machine boot from the cd/dvd drive. To do this it is very similiar to entering the system recovery, but you should be continually pressing ESC as soon as u power the machine on.

hope this helps, other than that i really dont know. my machine began working perfectly after resetting the cmos/bios and updating it to 8.16 right away. I have not had any problems since.

HP Recommended

Hi Raymond,

> I did not get a chance to update BIOS driver for WIn10. After failed attempt to update the driver to ver. 8.16.
> I restarted PC b/c screen froze (LEDs, power, fan, & hard drive was still on) the follwing morning. So I press the
> power button to force PC to restart & when PC restarted, PC could not go past Logo screen.

I see. Do you remember what was displayed on the screen when the computer froze? I am suspecting the BIOS flashing process in your case did not complete successfully. If this is the case, I am afraid you will have to contact the HP Service Center. May I know did you obtain the BIOS version 8.16 Rev. A flashing program from the HP Software and Drivers website or from a non-HP website? If you obtained it from the HP Software and Drivers website, please let the HP Service Center know about this and see how they can help you; but I doubt the HP BIOS version 8.16 Rev. A flashing program is at fault because many people have used it successfully to restore their computers. Perhaps HP would want to replace the motherboard, however, I guess you can try to ask them to reprogram the BIOS chip instead which should cost around $300 inclusive of shipping according to what I read. I hope you did leave the computer alone to do the BIOS flashing and did not do anything on the computer during the BIOS flashing process.

Chris

HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

I remember going directly to the HP website> Software & Drivers page> locating Win8 BIOS v.8.16 and downloading the file. File was being downloaded from the werbsite, PC froze as it was showing percentage of downloaded file and then PC just froze... I left it alone, went to bed, woke up the next morning and saw the PC was still frozen. Force PC to turn off by press Power button, (I said: "I'll work on it when I come back from work") & when I returned and turned on PC...

PC powered up, but went straight to the HP logo screen... I was able to get the PC to through the system restore menu option once... since then... I had no luck with the PC... PC continues to stay stuck at logo screen.

HP Support is too quick to let users know that their equip. is out of warrantee and charge to speak to Tech Support, that is the same thing that they wanted to do when I contacted them about PC having blank screen and I was able to resolve that successfully...

I will continue to keep trying based on the approch steps that you have advised me to try out. As well as the advise & info. that I have received from other users on the HP forms. Ultimately, I hope to fix the issue successfully, or just advise my dad to get himself another desktop or laptop and try to salvage harddrive and any other parts from PC. Thank you.

Raymond.

HP Recommended

Hi Raymond,

May I confirm with you on the following, please? Do you mean the PC froze while downloading BIOS version 8.16 Rev. A from the HP Software and Drivers website? According to the following message that the PC responded:

Processor Type: Intel(R) Core (TM) i3-
330 CPU @ 3.30 GHz
Precessor Speed: 3300 MHz
Memory Size: 8192 MB DDR3 /1600 MHZ / Dual Channel
Channel A: XMM1 4096 MB
Channel B: XMM124096 MB
BIOS Revision/Date: v8.16 11/17/2014

the BIOS was updated to version 8.16. May I know how did the BIOS updated to version 8.16, please?

If HP Service Center isn't the option, you my wish to replace the system board yourself. The HP ENVY 20 TouchSmart All-in-One PC is using the LARRYBIRD-B H61 (Part Number: 700540-501) and you can get it at $324.86 from http://adapterbuy.com/hp-envy-20d010-aio-motherboard-700540501-p-3495.html; the original vendor is selling it at $437 (unfortunately I could not locate the URL link for this vendor now). You can try to search for "700540-501" on the internet to see what is the cheapest you can get. You will need to get thermal pastes for the CPU and nVidia chips too.

I certainly hope there is another way to solve this problem without having to replace the system board. Try all suggestions you can get and see how thing goes.

Best of luck!
Chris

"Be Vegan, Make Peace. World Vegan, World Peace." - Supreme Master Ching Hai

HP Recommended

hpenvy20 black screen when turnd on,fan rrunning

HP Recommended
Jassr. If you follow the instructions in this thread there is a good chance that u can get your machine running. Have u recently updated to windows 10? Do the reset cmos remove motherboard battery trick. If that works be sure to update the bios asap. That serms to be where the issue lies. Good luck
HP Recommended

Previous thread from Chris read... "Please take note BIOS version 8.16 Rev. A can be downloaded from the HP Software and Drivers website http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-20-d000-TouchSmart-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-ser...

I have an Envy 20-d113w Win 10 OS however the HP driver site only gives option for Win 8/8.1 and 2014 driver 8.15! Download available:

HP Compaq Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family 2AE5) 8.15 Rev. A 4.4 MB Jul 15, 2014

AMI 8.15, 6/12/2014 is installed. 

Where do I find version 8.16 Rev A? 

I hope there is a light at the end of this tunnel!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.