Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi to all,

this year I've repaired in total 5 HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart, different versions but 4 of there with same problem:

- Black screen;

- no previous problems;

- fan working;

- white power led on;

Only one of these units  affect some heavy problem with external MXM video board (solved with a BGA reballing) but I full solved 4 of these with a re-programming of BIOS chip.

So, I'm sure that the black screen on these ENVY are caused in most of cases by BIOS CORRUPTION (or eeprom chip failure).

It's not possible to update BIOS with USB and recovery procedure: You have to change eeprom chip with new one or simply reprogram actual chip.

For this work it's necessary: patience, an air solder station, solder capability, some flux (or solde paste), full version of bios file for ENVY 23 TouchSmart, PIC/IC/EEPROM programmer and (optionally) a new eeprom bios chip.

In this article one of my work:

http://www.informaticanapoli.it/hp-envy-23-touchsmart-non-si-accende/

The article is in Italian and I know that this work is regarding to professional equipment and experience; but on the web I didn't found any info related to these AllInOne and BIOS issues and I think that some info are useful.

sorry for bad english.

Regards,

Carlo

HP Recommended
They program the bios to disable the computer after warranty to increase sales....
Most computers now last just over 12 months to 2 years.
Mine has the same problem just out of warranty. So the Bios has self destructed hey.......
HP Recommended

After the latest Windows 10 update the computer only turns on but does not boot up!

HP Recommended

@Towngirl1

Thanks for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help 🙂

As I understand the computer isn't booting into windows after the recent windows 10 installed on the PC,

I need a few details to provide an accurate solution:

Was the update process interrupted?

When was the last time it worked (date) ?

Have you attempted any steps of your own to solve the issue?

In the meantime, please attempt the below steps:

Perform a hard reset

Attempt a BIOS recovery

If there's no display, use an alternate monitor

Run the System Diagnostics tests

For more steps, click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you. 
If they did, that’s awesome! 
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue. Any help with this problem please? I've owned it for about 3 years and now it's not booting at all. Is this under warranty?

HP Recommended

"Connect an external monitor"? 

Where to? There's no monitor socket on this All-In-One...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.