Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE-510T
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desktop started having the issue of not detecting my monitor for over a week now.  The first time it happened, my monitor all of a sudden hibernated while I was working with my computer.  I thought my monitor died because it was an HP 2011x.  It is almost 6 years old. I thought maybe it needs a replacement.  I checked the monitor and it was fine.  It is now obvious that the Video Card is the one that needs a replacement. 

I found a complete instructions on "Adding Or Replacing an Expansion Card (Video Card, Sound Card, etc.) in HP Pavilion Elite Desktop PCs" through HP Support.  Since my computer cannot detect any monitor, there is no way for me to go to the options of selecting which Expansion Card I need to replace and save that setting.  My computer was NOT turned off properly because I can't see my desktop in the screen. My question is with all these that happened beyond my control, can I still safely replace the video card without performing that process?  If I want to find out what exactly happened, can I buy a USB Video Card so I can hook-up and connect my monitor to this desktop?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response!

The only easy solution to my problem was getting a new Graphics Card and replace the dead one. I purchased a GFX-NVIDIA GEFORCE 405 1GB from HP. Installation was quick and easy.  I made a video and posted it on YouTube with this link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xvQJrgT7ik

Hopefully, this will help people who hasn't done this before just like I did replace their Graphics Card by themselves.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @mf_620,

Good Day! Thank you for posting in the HP community. I understand that you require assistance regarding scanning issues with the flatbed of the printer using a MAC computer. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you with this. Smiley Happy

Stupendous diagnosis and troubleshooting. Spectacular analysis of the issue before posting.  Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy It is always a privilege to work with tech-savvy customers like you. Smiley Happy You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. We greatly appreciate you for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• Have you tried multiple monitors to isolate the issue to the video card?
  • Have you tried to connect this monitor to a different PC if you have access to one?

• For starters, to answer your second Question an External USB video card is only an extender to extend the existing video to another monitor or screen.  
  • So it is ruled out. It needs the internal onboard graphics card to or a PCIe expandable graphics card to work for the USB graphics card to extend the video to a secondary screen.

To answer your first question, yes, you could actually replace the graphics card as the computer has a PCI express slot in it that can house a graphics card.

But you need to choose from the list of graphics card provided in the product specifications as these are supported and tested with your product. As the bios version, motherboard and processor is an older one, please do not upgrade to a new graphics card that may not be supported by your computer.

Product specifications of the unit: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02682445  gives a list of supported graphics cards for the computer.

Service guide for replacing the graphics card and other components: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02255267 please visit pages 3-12 for further assistance.

Motherboard specifications link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Elite-HPE-510t-CTO-Desktop-PC/5035344/model/5060998/...

To order the graphics card please check these links out.

HP parts store: http://partsurfer.hp.com

Please follow the on-screen instructions. This website should list a phone number for you to call as well.

Link 2 https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/CountryChoice.aspx?mscssid=&ccode=ZZ&lcode=ZZ  

This is a global part store and please select the region accordingly. If the parts are not available, then please contact a local technician like

Best Buy or Staples to order the supported graphics card and replace it. You could check on Amazon or EBay also. Please take a local technician's assistance to ensure that you have a good working computer.

Finally, to simply answer your question, yes, could still install a Graphics card without performing the process that you spoke about in your post.

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David!

My computer was NOT turned off properly because I can't see my desktop in the screen. My question is with all these that happened beyond my control, can I still safely replace the video card without performing the process of choosing with Expansion Card I need to replace and save the setting based on HP Instructions?  

If I want to find out what exactly happened, can I buy a USB Video Card so I can hook-up and connect my monitor to this desktop? Last 2 questions, instead of replacing the Internal Video Graphics Card, can I use an External one? Does HP has an External Video Graphics card that is compatible with my desktop model?

HP Recommended

Hi @mf_620,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Terrific deductions and analysis. Hats off there. 🙂

An external video card cannot help you here and it will not show any display on any monitor that you hook up to it. The external video card relies on the internal video card on the computer to even work. Without the internal video card and display the external USB video card is useless.

Now to answer the other question, you cannot replace any other card except the expansion cards  or save any instructions as there is no video.  I have sent you the product specifications links that give you the list of supported expansion cards. The service manual shows how to replace it also.

Another link on where to order it from is also given.

Please try these steps and check if the computer fires up again by performing a hard reset first. from this link: http://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c01463028  Then If it does not, then the issue is hardware related and you either need to add an additional expansion video card or change the computer's motherboard which includes the onboard video card integrated into the motherboard. That is way too expensive.

Hope this answers your question. The buy an expansion video card is the only route to go. Please check with a local technician to install the card and ensure that the computer works correctly and that there are no other issues with it.

Trust me I’ve done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. I genuinely hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. It has been an absolute privilege to have shared this platform with you. Going by the troubleshooting and copious diagnosis and investigations conducted by you, I am sure Sherlock Holmes couldn't have done any better. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Do take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response!

The only easy solution to my problem was getting a new Graphics Card and replace the dead one. I purchased a GFX-NVIDIA GEFORCE 405 1GB from HP. Installation was quick and easy.  I made a video and posted it on YouTube with this link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xvQJrgT7ik

Hopefully, this will help people who hasn't done this before just like I did replace their Graphics Card by themselves.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.