Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I am experiencing the following issue and hope that someone in the forum as an idea / suggestion.

When I have the screen connected via via display port cable with the docking station and I have my laptop docked, I dont get any signal and the screen keeps black. This is independent of the Operating System - I used Windows 7, Windows 8.

When my laptop is docked but I attach the display port cable directly to the laptop it works without any problem.

I have also realized that with other displays 23'' or 24'' the setup with the docking station works without a problem.

So it has to be a cominbination between UltraSlim Docking Station and ZR2740w screen.

Any advise what else should be tried?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update:  After calling HP technical support I and being bounced among various clueless offshore tech support reps, I finally landed on the US-based workstation support department.  Justin looked up the problem and identified it as a known issue and is replacing my monitor cable with one that HP says will work.   Also, in the meantime there is a workaround that I had figured out.  If you don't use the displayport port on the ultraslim docking station but pug the cable directly into the computer it works fine.  There is some inconvienence associated with this as you have to plug it in every time you dock and unplug it every time you undock (and of course the cable always falls behind the desk while you are doing this), but it is okay as a solution while I am waiting for the new cable to arrive.  Will update this post after it arrives and report whether it works.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

This issue can be resolved by replacing the Display Port Cable. 

Please contact HP technicial Support at 1-800-334-5144 so they can replace the cable for you.

HP Recommended

Do you think it is a general Display Port Cable or just with the one delivered as part of the screen? I have tried today another "Display Port Cable" and it also didn't work.

HP Recommended

I am having this issue as well.  hp zr2740w monitor, dispalyport cable, ultra slim dock, 9470m running Win 7 64 bit enterprise.  Works perfectly off the dispalyport directly on the laptop - just not on the dock.  a 22" HP monitor with displayport worked as well.  So at this point I am not sure if its the zr2740w has a higher power requirement or if this is a bios issue or a displayport driver that is not passing the signal through to the monitor through the dock.

I replaced the dock and the dispalyport cable.  I  have even tried a new  monitor.  HP support suggested I get an active DVI adapter - which defeats the whole purpose - plus its another $140.  Last resort is they want me to ship the laptop back.  So I had my HP rep in yesterday and he put his 9470m on my dock and id did't work either.  So its not my laptop.

HP needs to address this.

HP Recommended

From what I undestand it is a specialized cable, a general display port cable will not fix your issue.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. HP Tech support has confirmed that there is an issue with this monitor firmware and they are working on the fix for it.

HP Recommended

Did you get any response by when HP is planning to deliver a fix?

HP Recommended

HP support sent me a replacement DisplayPort Cable but it did not work.

They stated that this part was needed.

729896-001 SPS-ASSY Cable DP with AUX-N pull-up

I have no idea what is different with that cable from the one that shipped with the monitor.  

The docking station display port works just fine with an Active Dual DVI adapter and Dual DVI cable (green ends).  My guess is that it gets additional power from the docking station that must be necessary to drive the higher 2560x1600 resolution of this great monitor.  

All DisplayPort cables that I have tested work just fine on the laptops DisplayPort but not through the dock.  It is as if it is not getting the "dual dvi" signal over the DisplayPort cabl on the dock to support that resolution or the dock does not have enough power.    I have also tried more powerful power supplies, different docs, and all available firmware.

Please advise if anyone has an idea or a fix for this.

HP Recommended

Same here, experience this on both folio 9470m docking and also 2170p docking Displayport. When check in windows screen resolution manager, the monitor does detected but just no image.

What i suspect is that because ZR2470w monitor have a high 2560 x 1440 @ 60MHz resolution, it is the docking station DP not able to drive up to this resolution hence causes the blank screen. The other possibilties could be as mentioned above, the docking doesn't provide enough power to the monitor but it is not likely IMO.

This issue have happend for months and no resolution on the firmware fix, what a disappointment.

HP Recommended

It is somehow not understandable why a brandnew system + docking station is not capable of using an external display as it should.

Connected today a Lenovo X1 Carbon with the docking station to the screen and it worked without a problem.

Would be appreciated to get an answer from HP if and by when they want to fix it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.