Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I have a problem with my setup- very similar to the string here.  I have two external displays- HP ZR2440w, that I'm attempting to use with the ultraslim dock and this model device.  I want to use both external displays, with the view extended so I can use both vs. the image being mirrored.  But I can ONLY mirror them.

Any suggestions?  I'm using the HDMI-like connections for both, since there's just DVI and HDMI, no VGA on this model display.  The dock has two of these connections, and I get an image on both, just not sure why I can't extend the view.  I'm running WIN7 Enterprise 64 bit OS.

HP Recommended

I also have an issue with only capable of mirroring the teo display ports on the Dock.

I'm using a brand new Elitebook 850 G1 with discrete grahics attached to the 2013 ultraslim dock.My goal was to use 3 22" montors natively from the dock...WHich is why I got the model with the discrete graphics card.

The monitor plugged into the vgs always works as it is suppose to in any configuration. No matter what I do I cannot  get the montors plugged into the two display ports to show up as seperate monitors in any combination. In windows it only shows up as one montor yet image is cloned. One interesting thin is I can set the resolution of this "monotor" to 3840x1080 which extends the resolution across both monitors which is horrible to use and aspect ration seems off aswell.

no documentation anywhere saying what can or is supported on the laptop or dock or combination....even called HP rep at distribution he could not confirm anything..... last time I try to do all the work and figure it out by my self of what will work from HP ....(and I'm a partner)

I should have stuck to the lenovo which confirmed it could work.

HP Recommended

You are not alone. Same problem here (DisplayPort  cable seems to be the culprit):

PC: HP EliteDesk 800 G1 TWR

Monitor: ASUS VG248

Graphics: INTEL(R) HD 4600 Onboard Graphics or HP NVIDIA GGF GT 630 2GB DP PICIe.

PC BIOS version: Makes no difference

Graphics driver versions from INTEL or NVIDIA: no difference.

DisplayPort cable used: THIS is what makes the difference. 

As soon as the Windows desktop is supposed to appear after bootup, the monitor reports "DISPLAY PORT: NO SIGNAL". As long as you take any "usual" DP cable to connect the Monitor to the HP PC.

Workaround: Use the DVI input of the monitor with a DVI cable. If you want to use one of the the DisplayPort outputs of the PCs, you need an (inexpensive) DP-to-DVI adapter. It comes e.g. with the HP NVIDIA GF GT 630. This is the only way it works here (so far).

The special HP spare kit 729896-001 SPS-ASSY cable DP with AUN-N pull-up is an alternative that I have not tried myself. But I will Try it in order to avoid the DP to DVI adapter. 

This is the conclusion after consulting INTEL and HP. Have not contacted ASUS yet. Maybe their monitor should get a firmware update, or they should deliver the correct DP cable with the monitor in a package. Normally the VGA248 comes with a DVI cable.

HP Recommended
Just wanted to add I have a Lenovo T440s, a ThinkPad Ultra Dock, and a Zr2740w monitor. My dock and two displayport cables came in yesterday, previously I had been using mini displayport to displayport directly from my laptop. I connected the laptop to the dock and the displayport cable to the dock and monitor and nothing. I tried the other cable and no dice. I susupect this is a similar issue. I will report back with my findings.
HP Recommended

Also can anyone identify what the significance of why this cable is special? That way it doesn't need to be ordered specifically through HP. I'd like to know what the underlying feature/functionality of the cable is rather than who sells it.

Devin

HP Recommended

Just saw this question when searching for another customer advisory #.

The 729896-001 SPS-ASSY cable DP with AUX-N cable is a workaround for a resistor selection made in the ZR2740w monitor,  on the DisplayPort AUX negative channel.  The "pull-down" resistor used in the monitor AUX-negative channel is excessively "strong" in the parlance of electrical engineering, and causes the DP re-driver in the dock to remain in sleep (low power) mode. 

This is because the DP signal re-driver in the dock monitors the AUX-negative voltage level to determine when a monitor is connected (which then causes it to wake up from low-power mode).  The system DP port does not have a re-driver.

You'll have to review the DisplayPort specification from VESA for the AUX-N resistor value requirements on the source and sink, if you are so inclined.

HP Recommended

I have similar issues as mentioned in this post.

My setup:

HP9470m with Intel HD4000

HP ZR2440w monitor dual setup

HP Ultraslim Docking Station 2013 with 2 Displayports

I can only clone the screen between the two monitors, not use extended desktop.

I used to have flickering screen on at least one (I can't remember if it was both) of the connected the monitors but this went away after updating the docking firmware to Ver2_18_000 and installing the latest BIOS on the pc.

It seems like using two display port cables is a no go for the HP ZR2440w/9470 setup currently. The screen is cloned to boh screens, but extended desktop does not work. Since the monitors are recognized, and cloned, I assume it is a limitation in the hardware somewhere and not the cable or the issue mentioned by the previous poster.

I'll see if I can find the 729896-001 cables to see if it makes a difference, but I have tried with Displayport to DVI-converter on both cables, but the result is the same, so I remain pessimistic.

HP Recommended

I just bought the higest end laptop HP makes and got the Ultraslim docking station with it.  The ZR2740w monitor I have does not work with it, as per the reasons in this thread.  (I am amazed that HP's highest end laptop does not work with HP's highest end monitor.)  Before I order the cable with the part number above, I wondered if there was any update on this problem in the last few months.

HP Recommended

Update:  After calling HP technical support I and being bounced among various clueless offshore tech support reps, I finally landed on the US-based workstation support department.  Justin looked up the problem and identified it as a known issue and is replacing my monitor cable with one that HP says will work.   Also, in the meantime there is a workaround that I had figured out.  If you don't use the displayport port on the ultraslim docking station but pug the cable directly into the computer it works fine.  There is some inconvienence associated with this as you have to plug it in every time you dock and unplug it every time you undock (and of course the cable always falls behind the desk while you are doing this), but it is okay as a solution while I am waiting for the new cable to arrive.  Will update this post after it arrives and report whether it works.

HP Recommended

dseuss, that's exactly the way to go, hopefully you will receive the correct cable on the first attempt.

We had to wait for the 3 iteration before receiving the correct ones.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.