Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Paul,

Thanks for the info. 

But don't understand last para.  How does one "change the product key" and how does one change it?

GJB
HP Recommended

Hi:

I thought I was given an option to change the product key in XP. I know you can in Vista or W7.

Anyway, if you need to activate windows, I think you go ahead and try to activate, then it fails, and you then get the option to change the product key, or you can read this article to do it a different way.

You do not need to reinstall the OS. You would only need to change the product key and only if Windows tells you it has to be activated.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6331220_change-key-windows-xp-sp3.html

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

Didn't realize it was just a Regedit function - piece of cake.

GJB
HP Recommended

I changed the Motherboard. I need to change the change the product key too? Great. How am I going to do that without a graphic display? I cant put the original board back in because 2 connectors refused to disengage. and the box has disappeared, like the graphics have. I think it is the updates that mucked up my computer. windows vist home premium does not give a safe mode option in the boot menu. Do you have a suggestion?

HP Recommended
Do you even think that the pc is booting?
You don't need to change product key as long as the pc isn't booting correctly (and even then - you can run Windows without activation).
You problem still seems to be a hardware one - do you know that the new mobo is working?
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
HP Recommended

My recovery disc's would not work with a new motherboard. I had to reinstall the original and run the first disc. I was able to get to the advanced menu and roll back three months to find a good restore point. The entire problem was a security update.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.