Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I'm reading an e-mail or document without moving my mouse, the screen turns black after only about one minute and then switches to my screen saver.  I must move the mouse constantly to keep my active window open.  I can't find out how to turn this "Energy Saving Feature" off so I can read long articles without being interrupted every other minute.  This has been VERY irritating!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Open windows Control Panel, open Pesonalization, click the Screen saver link in the bottom right and in the following window, adjust the time in the 'Wait' box to a time you want before the screen saver appears and click Apply. Or if you prefer never to get the log-on screen, remove the tick next to 'On resume, display logon screen'.  Click Apply to save the change.

Next, open windows Control Panel  again and click Power Options, click the Change plan settings link next to your currently selected power plan and in the following window adjust the time using the dropdown box next to 'Turn Off Display' to a more acceptable setting and then click Save Changes.

Note:  Set the time in the Power Options menu to be slightly longer than the time you set in the Screensaver Menu or you will never see your screensaver start.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

Open windows Control Panel, open Pesonalization, click the Screen saver link in the bottom right and in the following window, adjust the time in the 'Wait' box to a time you want before the screen saver appears and click Apply. Or if you prefer never to get the log-on screen, remove the tick next to 'On resume, display logon screen'.  Click Apply to save the change.

Next, open windows Control Panel  again and click Power Options, click the Change plan settings link next to your currently selected power plan and in the following window adjust the time using the dropdown box next to 'Turn Off Display' to a more acceptable setting and then click Save Changes.

Note:  Set the time in the Power Options menu to be slightly longer than the time you set in the Screensaver Menu or you will never see your screensaver start.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

can't find a timeout setting, don't know how to get to administrator privileges...it's my own home desktop computer.   no one else uses it....

HP Recommended
Thank you, thank you, thank you........
HP Recommended

I had recently changed my Theme, which auto-set my Screen Saver to 1min.  ZOMG- such a simple freakin' answer that totally fixed my prob.  I have Kudos'd you to show my thx.

HP Recommended
OMG! THANK YOU SO MUCH ! YOU R THE THE BEST!
HP Recommended
Thanks from me too!
HP Recommended

What operating platform is this advice for? Can't see one in the OP's question. It certainly isn't win 10. There is NOTHING at the bottom right, just a white page . In Control Panel, there isn't a "personalisation " tab. On clicking Appearance and personalisation, there are three options. 1 Change the theme. 2 Change sound effects. 3 Change screen saver.

Sorry guys, but advisors need to know the platform, and to advise the EXACT steps, or ordinary joes like me might as well just do it by guesswork.

Starting by saying " open personalisation" when there is no such option, is just confusing.

I have said before, advisors need to understand that just because THEY know what the mean, it doesn't follow that everyone else does. 

HP Recommended

In Windows 10, type "control panel" in the search box, and then select the top option. Click on Appearance and Personalization, then under Personalization, click on "change screen saver", where you will see the drop-down box to lengthen the time before it goes into screensaver mode.

HP Recommended

After two weeks looking for a solution this was it. Excellent instruction.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.