Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE h8-1380t CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently baught a EVGA GTX 1060, as this 630 has become quite long in the tooth and I figured I would try to future proof myself a bit as the rest of my components seem to be working just fine.  However, I cannot get the card to work properly on this partcular computer.  Oddly enough I can get past the boot screen eventually after several short beeps and letting it sit, but it takes fowever to get to the desktop and it clearly isn't running properly as the resolution is wonky and Nvidia's software can't even detect the card.  I'd assume I had gotten this far because of intergrated graphics of some sort, but as far as I know this motherboard lacks that.  

I know the card works fine as I tested it in my other tower, so I've been struggling to find a solution.  So far it seems like the issue is most likely the motherboard, as HP hasn't put out a new BIOS for it since early 2013 (which I did go ahead and install).  If true I'm left with either two options it seems like, ditch the system entirely or find a motherboard that works with all my old components.  I'd prefer to not have to dump this workhorse when all the other parts work great, so if there isn't a work around I'd like to know if there are any motherboards I could upgrade to that would work with the rest of my components.  I'd normally not bother with even asking, but I'm hearing a lot of chatter about HP prebuilt PCs having compatability issues.

I bought this computer four years ago under the assumption that I would be able to upgrade it as I do with any other PC, but I was unaware at the time that HP has a tendency to not update BIOS settings for anything beyond a year which I admit is incredibly frustrating.  Whats done is done however, and I would like to make this work without having to dump the whole system.

HP Pavilion HPE h8-1380t CTO Desktop PC

Model #: B4J28AV
Serial #: [edited

Motherboard: 2ACE "Pittsburgh" Pegatron Corporation

Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.60 GHz "Sandy Bridge - E"

RAM: 10GB DDR3

GPU (stock): Nvidia GeForce GT 630 (This is being replaced by the EVGA GTX 1060)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Faver, welcome to the forum.

Your problem is the BIOS.  However, it is because the GTX 1060 requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard/Legacy BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  The BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.  The last cards not to require UEFI were the GTX 660/670's.

MSI does make cards that have a switch that allows them to be used with either UEFI or a Legacy BIOS.  If you decide to go that way, you should contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your system.

Upgrading the motherboard can be a problem.  HP has their boards made to their specs.  Therefore, they are not necessarily the same as the retail versions.  You have to assure that the holes in the motherboard match the stand-offs in the case.  Also, some members have had problems with the connectors in the the front case connections, such as, the power button.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Faver, welcome to the forum.

Your problem is the BIOS.  However, it is because the GTX 1060 requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard/Legacy BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  The BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.  The last cards not to require UEFI were the GTX 660/670's.

MSI does make cards that have a switch that allows them to be used with either UEFI or a Legacy BIOS.  If you decide to go that way, you should contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your system.

Upgrading the motherboard can be a problem.  HP has their boards made to their specs.  Therefore, they are not necessarily the same as the retail versions.  You have to assure that the holes in the motherboard match the stand-offs in the case.  Also, some members have had problems with the connectors in the the front case connections, such as, the power button.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

i have Hewlett-Packard h8-1380t 713 and when i look at system info before the OS loads, i see under boot configuration UFEI and Legacy, so maybe some of these boards have some changes made to them.

HP Recommended

@rdiiorio, welcome back to the forum.

I can't say for certain, but since the computer was released in June, 2012, with Win 7, I doubt that it has UEFI.  They could have slipped it in, however.

HP Recommended

results from Belarccpuz 1.PNGCPU-Z board and CPUcpuz 2.PNGCPU-Z graphics card used

Hewlett-Packard h8-1380t 715
System Serial Number: [edited]
Asset Tag: 2MD2250G86
Enclosure Type: DesktopProcessor 3.60 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3820
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
10240 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)Logic-Board

Board: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2ACE 1.08
Serial Number: [edited]
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

Radeon RX 580 Series [Display adapter]
AOC 2752 [Monitor] (26.5"vis, s/n DXICBJA003037, November 2012)

UEFI: AMI 7.15 09/17/2012

I am using a UFEI bios on a board so many are saying has only MBR capabilities. I am also using ATI RX-500 8GB grahics card

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information, @rdiiorio !  This is interesting since the UEFI BIOS's are supposed to be version 8.  This was a transition period, however.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.