Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Pavilion p6598uk has a ATI Radeon HD5450 with one a DVI and one HDMI output. I have one monitor plugged into the DVI output via a VGA converter thing, this works fine. I'm trying to connect a second monitor to the HDMI output by way of a HDMI to VGA cable. This does not work at all. It is an OLD(10 years) monitor but works ok if I plug it into the DVI/VGA converter.

Monitor just says 'No video sighnal'. I've tried 2 different cables and my drivers are up-to-date.

Is it possible to connect an older monitor (not HD) to a HDMI output? If so, what am I doing wrong? Would this work if I bought a new HD TV to use as a monitor?

Windows 7 64bit

Any solutions gratefully received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You cannot convert HDMI to VGA without some serious digital to analog conversion equipment. You cannot use a simple passthough device like you can do with a DVI-I to VGA cable adapter. You will need to use an HDMI cable and a monitor that has an HDMI or DVI-I/D connector.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

You cannot convert HDMI to VGA without some serious digital to analog conversion equipment. You cannot use a simple passthough device like you can do with a DVI-I to VGA cable adapter. You will need to use an HDMI cable and a monitor that has an HDMI or DVI-I/D connector.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

You can connect your 5450 HDMI output to an HDTV (with an HDMI input) if you have one...I have my 5450 hooked up to my 50" Samsung and it's beautiful...and convenient to surf/watch internet movies from my couch/lounge chair...

HP Recommended

And will it be OK to have the HDMI output plugged into the HD Digital TV while the DVI output is connected to an old analogue monitor?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Depends on the video card. According to your specs, yes.... you can use two displays at the same time. You might have to go into Windows Display properties to get them set up how you want.

ATI Radeon HD5450
Figure 3: Video card
Image of video card
Figure 4: Ports
Image of video card bracket showing ports
1 - HDMI
2 - DVI (single-link)*
* VGA is available using DVI-to-VGA adapter
  • Interface: PCI Express x16
  • Maximum resolution:
  • HDMI TV resolution: up to 1080p at 60 Hz*
  • HDMI PC resolution: 2560x1600 at 60 Hz
  • DVI TV resolution: up to 1080p at 60 Hz*
  • DVI PC resolution: 1920x1200 at 60 Hz
  • VGA resolution: 2048x1536 at 60 Hz
    * Use ATI Catalyst Control Center software to optimize display
  • 1 GB onboard memory
  • Supports HDTV and Blu-ray up to 1080p
  • Supports two displays at the same time
  • Supports HDCP
  • I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
    HP Recommended

Great, thanks.

Got myself a HD monitor with a HDMI input and everything is working great.

Thanks for all help.

Richard

HP Recommended

I have the same graphics card. I purchased this card because it said it supports two minitoprs. Looking at ATI's web site for this graphics card, it also shows a VGA output on the Radeon HD5450 card. When I received it with my HP computer, it did not have teh VGA output, only a DVI to VGA adapter. This does not work since I have two monitors and both have VGA and DVI inputs. Can I hook one up to the DVI and the other to the HDMI using a HDMI to DVI cable?

Any other options to get both monitors connected, without buying a new HDMI monitor?

HP Recommended
    Most likely, yes; use an HDMI-to-DVI adapter for one, and DVI cable for the other. The snag would be if the monitor doesn't support HDCP (encryption), and you try to watch digitally-crippled content.
    HP Recommended

I read that you can use HDMI connected to a HD TV

and also the video output to a DVI monitor

Can I do this with a ATI RADEON HD 4350?

I want to be able to have a larger screen for SKYPE video calls but still have my PC LCD connected at the same time

that is always connected via the DVI output

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi guys

I have a similar problem and found this post on the forums, so I thought it would be good to ask my question here.

At the moment, I have my Pavilion p6598 Desktop connected DVI to DVI of a HP 2310ei monitor.

I have been considering getting a second screen and switching to dual screen. In preparation for this, I bought an HDMI to DisplayPort cable to connect the HDMI socket of the desktop to the DisplayPort of my 2310ei monitor, and use the DVI port for a spare monitor. However the monitor doesn't get any signal through this connection

Will the HDMI connection only work with HDMI monitors? Surely HDMI & DIsplayPort aren't that dissimilar?

Thanks for your assistance

HP Pavilion p6598uk with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit & HP 2310ei Monitor

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.