Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6597C
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Motherboard video is dead. What video card can I install in this system?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MRMWFIXIT, welcome to the forum.

The newer video cards require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard BIOS.  Your motherboard has a standard BIOS.  It can't be upgraded.  The last cards that don't require UEFI are the GTX 660/670's.  I like EVGA cards.  I suggest that you contact their Tech Support (1-888-881-3842) for help with choosing the best card for your system.

This will require a power supply unit (PSU) upgrade, as well.  The PSU in the computer is only 250W.  Most newer cards require at least 400W to operate properly.  I like Corsair products.  I recommend at least 500W.  A modular PSU would be best.  This allows you to use only the cables that are absolutely necessary and makes for better airflow.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@MRMWFIXIT, welcome to the forum.

The newer video cards require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard BIOS.  Your motherboard has a standard BIOS.  It can't be upgraded.  The last cards that don't require UEFI are the GTX 660/670's.  I like EVGA cards.  I suggest that you contact their Tech Support (1-888-881-3842) for help with choosing the best card for your system.

This will require a power supply unit (PSU) upgrade, as well.  The PSU in the computer is only 250W.  Most newer cards require at least 400W to operate properly.  I like Corsair products.  I recommend at least 500W.  A modular PSU would be best.  This allows you to use only the cables that are absolutely necessary and makes for better airflow.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

The user's Son is overnighting some type of video card. If it works fine. If not I will inform the user exactly what you have told. Thanks for your help. Michael

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @MRMWFIXIT.  I am always glad to help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.