Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-4101dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I just bought a new Spectre x360 (13-4101dx, pre-loaded with Windows 10) and I'm having issues with the Synaptics touchpad. After a Windows update, the driver was updated to version 19.0.12.95.  I have reverse scrolling disabled but for some applications, the two finger scrolling is still reversed. Applications like Google Chrome and Device Manager work fine, the reverse scrolling is disabled. However, for applications like Windows settings, Microsoft Edge, and pretty much everything Windows-related, it seems to be permanently reversed. Also, every time I restart my laptop, all of the settings are reverted back to default.

Now, on my HP Envy 15-j000, I have the same driver (19.0.12.95) and I don't face the same issues with reverse scrolling being "permanent" on Windows-related applications. However, the settings do still reset itself after every reboot.

How can I fix this? Will Synaptics be releasing a fixed driver for this or am I just missing something? I absolutely hate reverse scrolling and only a small handful of my applications actually run with it disabled...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have this same issue with my HP OMEN using driver 19.0.12.95, windows update says this is the latest driver. Scrolling remains inverted in some apps/settings. 

I fixed this issue by reverting to an older driver (18.1.30.2), scrolling is now uniform. Kinda annoying that I had to fix it this way, but I had to go the HP Omen driver/support page and download the driver for the synaptics touchpad (even though HP's website insists you use Windows update for Windows 10). I then had to install the old driver, go into device manager and roll back the driver to 18.1.30.2 - you have to do this otherwise Win 10 will just use the latest driver. After that you can change the setting in the synaptics clickpad settings and it will be uniform. This was what worked for me.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I have similar issues. After upgrading to Windows 10, the touchpad does not recognize left mouse clicks. I attempted to adjust settings from control panel but the following error is generated: Control panel Extension is Incompatible with Driver Version. Can anybody suggest a fix?

HP Recommended

I have this same issue with my HP OMEN using driver 19.0.12.95, windows update says this is the latest driver. Scrolling remains inverted in some apps/settings. 

I fixed this issue by reverting to an older driver (18.1.30.2), scrolling is now uniform. Kinda annoying that I had to fix it this way, but I had to go the HP Omen driver/support page and download the driver for the synaptics touchpad (even though HP's website insists you use Windows update for Windows 10). I then had to install the old driver, go into device manager and roll back the driver to 18.1.30.2 - you have to do this otherwise Win 10 will just use the latest driver. After that you can change the setting in the synaptics clickpad settings and it will be uniform. This was what worked for me.

HP Recommended

^ THIS!! I went to the Spectre x360 13-4003dx driver page (because the 13-4101dx driver page doesn't let you choose drivers for Windows 8.1) and downloaded the Synpatics Touchpad Driver 18.1.30.16 REV.A (SP71089). I uninstalled the old software completely and installed this one, restarted my laptop, went to the settings and turned off reverse scrolling and it works on all programs! I just need to make sure Windows 10 isn't going to automatically bump it back to 19.0.12.95 because I didn't do the rollback driver method you did. It's not as "smooth" as the newest version but at least all of the features work properly. Thank you dbrown9141!

HP Recommended

****IMPORTANT****

Windows 10 may continue to update your driver upon restart. You can disable the automatic driver update following this guide.

Basically you run the "show or hide updates" utility and use it to "hide" updates from Win 10. Select the synaptics driver update from the list. Download the ulitity directly here (47KB) 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the utility dbrown! I noticed that it tried to update the driver when I was checking for Windows updates. Now it's stuck at 18.1.30.16, like how I need it. Kudos to you. 🙂

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue.

Brand new 2016 Skylake HP Spectre X360 13 and it misses around 30% of left physical clicks on Windows 10.

Tried downgrading to the Windows 8 driver like others have suggested - while that fixes the missing clicks it is pointless as you loose the Windows 10 gesture functionality.

Anyone have ideas or suggestions ? Surely if this is such a clear software bug someone at HP and Synaptics should know about it and readily be working on a solution.

Urgh. Was so looking forward to this laptop after months of shopping around.

Here's hoping...

HP Recommended

I was having a similar issue until the trackpad stopped functioning correctly altogether, then started opening up the action center in addition to clicking.

I had luck resolving the issue by:

1) creating a restore point

2) opening the device manager (Windows key + x -> Device Manager)

3) opening the "Mice and other pointing devices" pull down menu

4) right clicking on Synaptics SMBus TouchPad and deleting it

5) restarting the system

The driver was reinstalled as 19.0.12.98 and appears to be working properly

HP Recommended

My Spectre 360 is about a month old, and in general, I think it's a wonderful computer.  The touchpad, though, is awful.  It's the worst I've used (and this is my 5th HP laptop, purchased over the last 20 years or so).  The cursor floats (and I've tried the adjustments) and clickable options seem to select themselves.  It makes using the computer a frustrating experience. If it weren't for this problem, I'd gladly recommend the Spectre to anyone shopping for a new computer, but the touchpad issue will prohibit that recommendation.

HP Recommended

@ksnow

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the touchpad is erratic or floating around the screen,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Does it work better with an alternate/external mouse?

Also, could you check if the issue persists while you are in the BIOS screen? (Tap on F10 key to access it).

While you respond to that, here's a few things you need to do:

Attempt using an alternate/external mouse. 

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your mouse: 

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled. 

• 1.   Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’. 

• 2.   Click Device Manager. 

• 3.   Click + sign next to Mouse. 

• 4.   Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall". 

• 5.   Restart your computer.

Let me know if those steps worked for you,

If they did, that's awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.