Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Touchsmart 310 PC.  I have never had trouble with it before.  I was editing pictures on it and walked outside for a moment.  When I came back in the screen was blank.  Touched buttons and  it would not show anything.  I rebooted the computer and the logo shows for about a second and then the screen goes blank.  I can not get anything to come on the monitor.  THe computer still makes noises that it is running but nothing is on the screen.  I tried a few things in the support group I found as in unplugging the power cord and pushing buttons.  I have had no luck.  Can somebody please help me?

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Hello Help__needed,

You are stating when you turn your touchsmart on the logo flashes and the screen goes blank, is that correct? I will be happy to help you.

Try another hard reset first:

1. Remove all cables and including the power cord from the computer
  2. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds
  3. Insert only the mouse, keyboard and power cord

When you turn the computer back on immediately start tapping the F10 key, and that should lead you into a BIOS setup screen.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

I to have an HP Touchsmart 310 and the blue HP logo will flash for a second and the screen will go blank.  The computer will boot all the way and I will hear the Windows 7 start-up sounds, however the screen is still blank.

I have do the procedures for the HARD re-start may times and it does not work.

I have removed the hard drive, and memory.  When the memory is out I get a beeping telling me I need memory.  I have tried putting in one at a time swapping the memory in different slots in all combinations.  This has not fixed the problem.

With the hard drive disconnected the Motherboard should only see the system BIOS.  It still flashes the blue logo and goes dark.  I am able to loop the F10, F5, then F10 and it reboots over and over as long as I do this.  When this happens I get Text the next boot then blue logo the next.

HP needs to do a recall on these systems due the the very high number of people having this same issue.  Just Goggle/Bing the web and you will see this is more than just an isolated incident to the 310 series it is also plaguing the 300 series as well as many other Touchsmart models.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi, sorry to hear that you are having issue's with your Touchsmart pc's .  Please click on the following link for detailed instructions on how to resolve issues ranging from Blank screen's to error codes. http://goo.gl/EVO5Du

If this document does not resolve the issue's that you are having, please feel free to write back and i will be happy to continue on with more research. 

Thanks in advance

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Followed the steps and nothing works.

Under Screen is Blank after Starting the Computer link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02217843

Screen briefly displays the HP logo screen section:

Step 1: Turn on the computer, and then press the F8 key repeatedly when the HP logo screen is displayed.

This is FUNNY because the heading states that the HP logo displays briefly.  Hitting F8 does not produce a picture.  After the Brief HP logo appearance the screen goes dark and will boot all the way into windows.  I know this only because I can hear the window startup chimes.

Things I do know is that the moniter does work, if only for a brief moment because the HP blue logo screen is visable for a fraction of a second.  Hitting F8 does noting but annoy the user because nothing happens.

Step 2: is useless because you can not see anything so you can not change the display resolution to the low resolution environment as directed.

Screen remains blank and does not display the HP logo screen:

Doing these procedures below, allows me to loop the HP logo screen over and over again until I stop the process, but the screen still stays blank even when I let it finish booting to the Windows boot up chimes.

Repeatedly press the F10 key about once every second for five seconds after turning the computer on.

Wait five seconds.

Press the F5 key. This restores the default settings of the BIOS.

Press the Enter key. This accepts the changes.

Press the F10 key. This opens the Save and Exit window.

Press the Enter key. This saves the changes, exits the BIOS, and then the computer restarts.

After the computer restarts, the screen should display the HP logo.

It does display (flash) the HP blue Logo screen for a fraction of a second and my problem is still there.

HP needs to recall these defective computers and fix this problem.  I am not alone with this problem as there are many others with this same issue on the same and different TouchSmart platforms.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, sorry to hear that the documents I sent did not resolve the issue.  I think the next step would be for you to call Hp Total care at 1-800-474-6836.  They will be able to assist you with more detail on this issue.

Thanks

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Just like HP to pass the buck because it is not your problem, it is the end users problem to fix.

Paul

HP Recommended

Paul, were you able to solve this yet?  I have the same issue, exactly.  I am even able to access the computer through windows networking to pull data off of the computer for backup...

HP Recommended

I have been looking all over for a fix for this and everywhere I go they send me t the useless HP black screen page that is useless.

A funny thing happened to me on Saturday, I gave the old HP 310 a try and it booted up fine, screen and all.  I went in and turned off all power saving modes to keep the monitor on.  When I came home today it was dead again.  So I know the monitor works, I just do not know what is taking it out.

This is a common problem and all every HP rep wants to do is tell you to send it in for an out of warranty repair for $299.00.  I think that if we are all having this issue, and it seems to be happening across the TouchSmart line, that HP should repair this issue for free.

Paul

HP Recommended
I have heard it may be your power supply, and the flash indicates that it may not be able to push enough wattage for the display... You try that?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.