Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My computer turns on and Windows comes, but when it goes to the sign in screen nothing comes up and the screen begins to flash.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue. I've followed your steps to the BIOS screen. Now what?

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with two HP Envy Laptops. I have pinpointed my problem to using a modified version of the WIndows 10 "aero" theme, or diabling it in favour of using another theme in its place (either modified or downloaded).

When the machine is booting, the HP logo is supposed to flash a few times. That is normal. But if the flashing persists at faster frequencies, I know that the machine will not successfully boot into WIndows 10. Instead a blank screen will eventually start flashing in white every 5-10 seconds, as though it is trying to say that it is having trouble displaying what it is supposed to. 

I have actually proven that WIndows10  completes the booting process, but is unable to display anything. Having put a shared attributed on my C-drive,  I can actually access it from another computer while the screen flashes. That tells me that everything is normal, except what is being displayed.

The problem stems from loading a modified version of the "Aero" theme in Windows 10 located at "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes". When I restore the original "aero" folder (which I have renamed as  "aero-original"), the machine  boots properly. Having tested this dozens of times, the  "aero-original" folder can only be renamed from the command prompt for within the recovery partition (by hitting the ESC key and then F11 at bootup).

The "aero" folder can get modified by simply downloading and installing a new theme. I think that even activating the "aerolite" theme can cause the problem.

I have found that the modified version of the "aero" theme can work for a while and then fail on a subsequent re-boot. Once it fails, it never works again. The original "aero" folder must be reinstated.

The modified "aero" theme can fail by simply changing the screen magnification, from 100% to say, 125% in "Advanced Display Settings."

I suspect this is more of a WIndows 10 bug than an HP bug, but I cannot know for sure unless I try it on a different Windows 10 machine of a different brand.

To avoid the grief that this can cause, I would recommend that you not change the theme to anything other than the themes that are already available on your machine.

I would be interested to know if anyone else thinks their problem is the same as I described

HP Recommended

I have the similar issue too. The hp logo went flickering for a moment on startup before the whole screen turned black.  I have tried hard reset and couldn't even enter into BIOS mode. Can anyone help? 

My pc having windows 10. 

Pc model Hp pavillion slimline 400-015d

thank you

HP Recommended

On booting up the he hp logo flickers for a moment then the screen turns black.  I can hear the windows wake up sounds but screen stays blank.    I cannot get into the BIOS mode on reboot.  

Can anyone help? 

windows 10. 

Hp pavillion 300-1000

After rebooting many times, it went into Windows 10.  I thought all was suddenly ok again..  But no.

Is anyone at HP going to provide a solution ?   

Is it to do with the c:\windows ...\themes file as mentioned on this forum? 

HP Recommended
I am having the same issue with my HP Pavillon. It boots up when turned on, the screen will show the hp logo for about 3 seconds and then the screen goes blank. Was anyone ever helped with this issue?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.