04-02-2011 10:45 PM
My dvd player is not working correctly. I am able read and burn CDs, but the player won't read or write DVDs. I have a touchsmart 300 running Windows 7. I was trying to burn some home movies in WMA format. Movie Maker recognizes a blank DVD, and attempts to burn the DVD, but once it finishes, the disk is blank. I then tried to just burn a MPG file using another software program and it failed at the validation stage. Finally, I put a dvd movie in the drive and it wont recognize the disk. These functions used to work fine. The computer is only 15 months old, of course I only had a one year warranty.
Is there anyway this could be related to software or is it a hardware problem?
04-03-2011 05:06 PM
First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.
If it still isn't working, try the following.
Next, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager. Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives. Right click the drive and select uninstall. Do not delete drivers if asked. When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ). Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.
****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****
Microsoft MVP - Windows Experience
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP All-in-One PCs - Troubleshooting Touch Screen Issues (Windows 8)