Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

You don't typically have to worry about "high speed" HDMI cables unless you are running ultra high resolution and/or 3D.

There is no guarantee that poorly manufactured HDMI cables stamped "high speed" means that the cable will work in every situation.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi,

I absolutely agree.  However, I think that we are getting away from the topic "HDMI vs HP 2311x".  I found my own solution before getting on this forum and I have not seen any solution yet; therefore, I posted my experience in solving the problem so that others can try on.  I am going to sign off this topic.

Regards.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The solution was posted earlier.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

[quote]The solution was posted earlier.[/quote]

So which answer is the correct one then?  The one that says I need to call HP Support for some unclear reason or the one that says I need to buy an expensive HDMI cable?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Contact HP Support.  I have asked HP to have an engineer look into the HDMI issues with HP 2x11x monitors.

There is not a requirement to the HP 2x11x monitors to use "high speed" cables knowing that many of the video cards are not perhaps supportive to the full extent of HDMI 1.3 and higher. Even then you would need to be running a high resolution and perhaps even 3D.  But if you can't even get the monitor to work well with Windows then that would also indicate basic interface issues.

A small impedance change between different HDMI cables might make a difference that will allow you to circumvent the issue. 

BTW, Most of the older HDMI category 1 cables will qualify to the category 2 standard (340 mhz, 10.2 Gbps) which is HDMI 1.3.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I would say by now HP Tech. Support should provide us a recommendation of what HDMI cable should be used with HP 2311x.  I am not a big fan of buying an expeinsive cable for a small job like this.  Even though my HDMI cable is high speed but I bought it only for $5.99; I have seen it in a national-chain store with $15.  The major problem is not all cables are tested up to their market labels.  It is up to your comfort zone.  Also what make HP 2311x different from other monitors is its DVI/HDMI ports with requirement of HDCP compliance.

Below is the cable types under HDMI 1.4 specification and the information can be found on wikipedia website

Standard HDMI Cable – up to 1080i and 720p

Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet

Automotive HDMI Cable

High Speed HDMI Cable – 1080p, 4K, 3D and Deep Color

High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

My current settings are

Sony Laptop connected to VGA port of HP 2311x (main display)

HP pc with AMD Phenom II X4 940T CPU and MSI R5450 graphic card connected to

HDMI port of HP 2311x

DVI port of ViewSonic LED 24" (main display)

I can turn any of them on or both and depending on who does the handshaking first will own the HP 2311x monitor.

The problem may not be the monitor (unless it is defective) but might be the graphicard and/or HDMI cable.  By the way the HDMI cable which I pulled out from my blue ray dvd player which did not work om PC/HP 2311x connection is labelled as HDMI 1.3 cable.

HP Recommended

Mtnu4,

You are not the only one having HDMI issues.

HDCP is nothing new.  My two year old HP 2159m is HDCP.  HDCP only comes into play with commerical Blu-ray DVDs and protected TV broadcasts.

HP Recommended

Hi Dawn,

I have read the threat "HP2311x LED Monitor having HDMI problems" initiated from Aesir on 11-17-2011.  Both Aesir and SHORTYUK have been able to make it to work and Aesir also claimed that it worked even for his old cable.  Since I have my monitor working with the new cable, I have tried to plug in my old cable but it did not work.

It turns out that we have to do it in a right sequence which described below

1) Make sure that the PC/Laptop works with HP 2311x via DVI cable (or VGA but I have not test this scenario).

2) While the PC/Laptop is running, make HDMI as the Default Source and change Auto-Switch Source to "Off".  Save and exit.

3) Shutdown the PC/Laptop and wait for a few minutes (You may have to unplug the power source of both PC/Laptop and monitor; I do not think it is neccesary)

4) Unplug the DVI cable from the monitor and plug in the HDMI cable to both PC/Laptop and monitor.

5) Power it on

I hope that it would work and you do not have to buy a new cable.  I have tried on mine already.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  I have to take it back the VGA scenario in 1 due to not being tested.  My original settings are:  Default Source is DVI and Auto-Switch Source is "On".  After the setup to work with HDMI, please do not switch to other type of cables (VGA or DVI); you may run into the display problem because "Auto-Switch Source" option is set to off and the Default Source is set to HDMI.  After this post, I started to switch the cables around to meet my monitors sharing with 2 machines and I ran into problem with 2311x.

HP Recommended

I didn't believe it till I tried it. I was trying to connect with some ordinary HDMI cables.  They didn't work.  I had some nice ones from Monoprice so I tried those to see if my HP 2311x monitor would start working.  Viola.  That did the trick. Unbelievable.  Such a simple solution.

HP Recommended

I tangled with this headache after buying a base station for my Thinkpad notebook computer.  This added a displayport option, so I thought it an easy 'upgrade' from standard VGA.  I purchased a displayport to HDMI cable and that's when the dreaded "check cable" message haunted me.  I tried EVERYTHING suggested here and NOTHING would work.  Then, I realized that the monitor was showing that HDMI connection was active but, for some reason, couldn't switch (either forced or manual).  No amount of resetting made any difference.  Then, I tried something that I was sure would NOT work:  I plugged in BOTH the HDMI and the VGA at the same time.  Then, I just unplugged the VGA...viola! Has worked flawlessly for the last few days, so thought I would post it here and save someone countless hours of frustration.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.