Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Curved 34 b025xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OK. I just purchased the Envy 34 Curved all in one due to the tremendous real estate on the 34 screen. Here's my question - I am trying to use a portion of that Envy screen to emulate my laptop screen, so I can toggle back and forth between the laptop and the HP Envy.  In my prior desktop arrangement, I used a KMV switch that allowed me to share the keyboard, mouse, and speakers using a single monitor.  But now, since the HP Envy 34 does not have a traditional monitor input port, per se, I'm not sure if any of this can be done.

I've tried hooking up the laptop to the HP Envy Curved 34 all-in-one by hdmi. It works but it takes up the entire HP Envy 34 desktop  (can't seem to shrink it as a separate window on the desktop).

I've also tried to connect the two computers together wirelessly using the Windows 10 Connect feature, but the laptop does not seem to support the Miracast functionality (even tho the laptop also uses Windows 10).

Is there a way to use a USB to USB conenction, or a USB - C port, or even the Thunderbolt port to get the laptop screen onto the HP Curved 34 screen?  Hope this is clear!!

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @Curvy34

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to duplicate the laptop screen onto your desktop computer.

I’d love to help!

There is no HP articles or assistance for the particular issue you have posted. You could use and make changes at your own discretion using 3rd party tools, however, HP doesn't recommend the same nor has information about the tools used.

I personally recommend you can use synergy software to duplicate or extend the screens of your two computers.

Synergy won't precisely give you what you've specifically asked for - but perhaps in your particular case, it'll actually fit the bill nicely.

Synergy allows you to share a single keyboard & mouse from one machine with many. You set up zones where as your mouse hits the edge of one screen, it ends up controlling another machine. It's really quite awesome. It's cross-platform (Windows, OSX, Linux) and is fairly easy to setup (and is free).

There are lots of videos on youtube regarding Synergy you can check out: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=synergy

So with Synergy (vs what you actually asked for), you'd be missing the ability to drag windows/applications between machines. Obviously, you can set up regular file sharing to move documents/content between machines. Synergy supports basic clipboard integration (you can 'copy' a line of text on one machine, then 'paste' it on another). Anyway, perhaps that'll meet your actual need that inspired the question. Maybe not - could end up helping someone else who reads the question wondering about their options along these lines.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Fossette, thx very much for the info filled suggestion!  I'm not sure I articulated my question as precisely as I should have.  Not so much interested in keeping two screens running and being able to drag and drop files between computers. My question is more basic than that. 

Is there a cable connection that I can use from my Sony laptop that will go to my HP Envy which will allow me to display my Sony's screen on a portion of the Envy's 34 inch screen?  The hdmi connection will broadcast my sony's  screen on 100% of the Envy's screen, but I don't want to occupy 100%.

I figured this would be possible given the description for the HP Envy 34 curved monitor (and not my Curved 34 All-in-one), which lists as a feature:

"Picture by picture technology allows viewing of two separate inputs simultaneously." 

So, if that provision should exist on the stand alone HP curved 34 monitor, why would it not also exist on the all-in-one version?  Why make a screen that large and not be able to use/share it with another device? There must be a type of connection which would allow this to occur, whetehr it would be a USB 3.0, 2.0, USB-c or thunderbolt connection.  If I can solve that first, then I'll take on the keyboard and mouse sharing challenge!!  Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi @Curvy34

Thank you for posting back.

I would like to know where have you connected the HDMI cable from your laptop to the All-in-one.

SuperionNT back I/O ports

1. Power/SATA activity LED

2. DC power in

3. HDMI out

4. USB 3.0: 2

5. LAN (Ethernet)

6. USB 2.0: 2

7. HDMI in

I recommend you to connect it to the HDMI in port and check if it helps. 

Also, when you connect the laptop to the All-in-one do you duplicate or extend the display on your laptop. Provide me this information to provide you a more accurate solution.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sweet!  I think the image may be of an older design.  Here is the way the back of my Envy lays out (from a third party site). The blue arrow indicates where I am plugging the HDMI from my Sony into the HP. There is only one other hdmi port and that's an Out.

Envy 34 HDMI rear slots.PNG

Once connected to the Sony, I click on the HP Display Control which brings up an HDMI dialogue box which looks as follows:

HDMI Display Control.PNG

After I click through the blue HDMI Input button it then takes over the entire screen. And yes, on my Sony I have to enter the proper screen control (either extend or clone). Does that help?

Thx!

HP Recommended

Hi @Curvy34

I would like to inform you that there is no adapter or hardware available from HP to configure the All-in-one to split the screen and display two computer screens.

You can connect a device to HDMI in port of the computer and use the All-in-one as a monitor.

Hope that answers your question.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mucho thanks! I appreciate the time you've spent helping!  I am loving the machine, except for that small issue which i thought for sure would be available. It's a pity that the functionality is available on the stand alone monitors but not on the all in one. Well, Ill look at some of the software recommendations youve made and other and see if I can find something that will get me close!

Be well and thanks!

PS - if you have any wild thoughts on the subject, I'm all ears! (and screen)

HP Recommended

Hi @Curvy34

I appreciate your time and efforts.

I will let you know if I come across any adapter which supports this functionality.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks! I see that there is a new app called Compact Overlay that might be released in April as part of a Windows update?  My fingers are crossed that this app will allow hdmi streams to be put into a window just like Skype calls and tv and movie streams....

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi @Curvy34

I hope that works for you. I will also check the details and keep you posted if I find more details.

Good Luck!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.