Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP f2105 21" monitor running on Windows 7 x64. Recently the Volume Icon keeps appearing on my screen, and automatically increases the volume to 100%.

I have not made any significant changes in my operating system. The Icon stands in front of all other screens and cannot be dismissed. It quits when it's ready after a few seconds. It pops up every 3-4 minutes or so.

My drivers are up to date. I've tried disconnecting the monitor and reconnecting it. Turning it off and on, etc. So far nothing has helped.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
Hello melb1946

Does your keyboard have volume buttons? I know in my experiences I have sometimes run into similar scenarios. In my case the problem was accidentally hitting the volume button on my keyboard. How is your sound setup in Windows 7? Is your monitor set as the default sound device? Do other sound devices increase their volumes?

Probably one of the best ways to isolate the problem would be to put the monitor on another computer and see if the sound continues to appear and go up.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response Travis. My keyboard does not have volume keys; it's a rather simple keyboard. Good thought though. I have only one sound device, Realtek HD audio driver. I have played with it's settings, but find nothing out of order. I will bring my laptop home and attach it to the monitor and see if there's any difference. That was a great idea. Thanks again. I'll let you know what I find out.

Mel Bracken

HP Recommended
You're welcome Mel

Let me know what happens. Isolating the problem is always a good way to start troubleshooting. If the problem persists on your laptop connected to the monitor than the problem may be with the monitor itself. If, however, the monitor works while connected to the laptop it may be a setting or problem with your computer.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

I was also Cursed with something similar Volume didn't increase but couldn't see behind icon or even moveit, it didn't even show up in a screen shot on Paint! I used Windows Defender scan, after 8-10 full scans didn't find anything, Troble shooting with Win 10 didn't Help, so I downloaded AVG, and on first scan it found 8 suspected files, now after 6-8 hours run time no Popups! Hope this helps other folks, Ron

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.