12-01-2010 11:29 AM
Hello... I have a a6600f (64-bit vista) with onboard graphics; I want to purchase an inexpensive video card so I can use 2 displays... I'm not a gamer so it doesn't have to be heavy duty. the problem is that this box only has a 250w power supply. does anyone know of a pci-e card that will run on a 250w supply?
Also, will I be able to use the integrated graphics port after I install a card? Someone told me that the onboard port may become inactive if a video card is installed... if this is true, then I need a card that will drive 2 displays, right? Thanks for any guidance...
12-01-2010 05:23 PM - edited 12-02-2010 09:28 AM
You will not be able to use the integrated video adapter once you install a discrete video card. You need to replace the power supply.
You should open up your PC and measure the physical dimensions of your power supply. Here is a list of things to consider:
- Total wattage - important
- 12+ volt amperage rating - important
- Modular - not mandatory but I like the flexibility
- i7 and SLI ready
- Efficiency rating
- Physical size -- standard ATX PSU is 5.5" by 5.9" by 3.4" give or take a few tenths
www.newegg.com has lots of PSUs choices. Corsair, OCZ, Rosewill, Thermaltake.....
A 500 watt PSU should be plenty and it will support a lot of different video cards. Your choice for a video card might depend on the monitor connector types that you require.
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP ENVY 17t Touch,i7-6500u,6GB, 256 GB SSD (on loan)
HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4790k, Z97, 16GB 2400 MHz DDR3, Intel 750 PCI-E SSD, (2)Samsung EVO 840 SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 980TI, Corsair H75 water cooler
Windows 10 Pro in UEFI mode - production system
Windows 7 and 8 in UEFI mode - test systems
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Common Solutions for Windows 10