Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
 HPvs19e-my power light is blinking blue the screen is still blank monitor has sound and power but no pic just black screen tell me how to fix this prob.
Message Edited by stormyobaby on 03-09-2009 12:46 AM
Message Edited by stormyobaby on 03-09-2009 12:47 AM
20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

The backlight probably dies. The backlight shines light through the LCD panel. Shine a flashlight into the screen to see if the LCD panel is still working.

About the only thing you can do is try the power cord in another power outlet. But if it was working fine before the hardware is probaly bad and the monitor needs to be repaired or replaced.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

That just happened to me. Did you just do an update of Windows? I did. The timing is wierd.

My monitor is only two years old. I updated the BIOS and ran diagnostic tools, defraged, adjusted the power and monitor settings, and cleaned the hard disk. Nothing worked. So, I put the other monitor we had on my computer and it is working, so this problem is not likley a computer problem..but is a monitor problem. I can't find anywhere that I can re-load the software for the monitor. I would really like to skip the repair shop if I can.

HP Recommended

When a backlight dies - this means that the components on the board are no longer able to properly power to the backlight (think of a ballast for flourescent lights for simplicities sake) .. or the backlight itself no longer has enough "stuff" to retain a charge (to glow).

So... when you power up your monitor and it flickers and then dies - shine a flashlight into screen and look closely. You should still see Windows open and the cursor moving around - you just don't have the light behind it.

The bad news: the cost to replace a backlight (essentially the panel), is usually just as much, if not more, than the cost of a new LCD consumer monitor. 

Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

The back light did not die. The flashlight trick failed to reveal anything but a black screen, but thanks for the idea.

The blue light "flashes". I can not find anything that tells me what that means. When it is on standby the light is supposed to be orange (and it is). It shouldn't be blue and  "flashing", it should just be steadily on. Does anybody know what the "flashing" blue light indicates?

HP Recommended

The board is probably bad. Blue blinking light is an error state. The monitor should be replaced or repaired. Follow this link to see what might be the issue and the fix from a hardware repair standpoint:

http://boredprojects.blogspot.com/2008/06/hp-vs19d-fix.html

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.

I did talk to the HP IT person and after some real pushing in the conversation to answer my direct question, she said it is the capacitor. Will this link you provided show me how to fix this problem myself? Will HP give me a price or even sell me parts, or do I have to be an authorize dealer?

HP Recommended

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but outside of the warranty period you have to get the job done yourself or pay to have someone repair it. The link I gave showed someone that is handy at fixing electonics and was nice enough to share his success with the world. If you or someone that repairs electronics want to try and fix the board, you can remove the caps and take them to a local electronics store and have them ordered or replaced.

If it were me, I know enough about electronics that I would try the suggested fix. It looks fairly simple as far as electronic repairs go. The hardest part being the removal and replacement of the caps. You must take your time and care when removing and soldering the caps. The good news is that they are the larger caps and easier to work with. For the do-it-yourself the fix is very cheap and with a dead monitor that is out of warranty my thinking is that I don't have much to lose as I would be tossing the monitor anyway.

It's really up to you and your skill levels and how comfortable you are with this kind of thing. If you are not comfotable with it, maybe you have a friend that's into electonics? I don't know.

I do wish you the best though.

HP Recommended

I just started experiencing this problem too.  This monitor is a replacement to the one i received when i originally purchased the computer bundle.  the original white screened after about a year.  I have only had the replacement monitor for a little more than a year.

Within the last 2 days, the monitor remains off with a blinking blue power light after start up or bringing the computer out of stand by.  What is weird is that the monitor will eventually come on after i cause windows to do something - right click, start a program (usually i just click around until it comse on) .  I am typing this post using the monitor.  I have no issues as long as the monitor remains on. 

Would this relate realte to a hardware failure?  If there is an error code, is there any way to check it?

Message Edited by tsailen on 04-27-2009 06:51 PM
HP Recommended

Ditto!  Finally someone else who has the same problem as me!  I have a HP vs17x.  I put my computer on standby and ever since had problems with my monitor -exactly how user tsailen describes it.  Weird thing is, when I plugged in an older model monitor (not flat panel), it worked fine.  So I tried the HP vs17x flat panel on another computer.  Doesn't work on that either.  So I tried another flat panel monitor on the original computer was working fine until, bam!  Same problem again!  Now, here's what's even weirder- I was working off the older model monitor for about a month now and frankly, it is a dinosaur!  So I plug in the second flat panel monitor, It did the blinking thing at first for a few minutes at startup but works fine now (so far).  Thought I'd test my luck with the original vs17x, Unfortunately, not so lucky.  So what is going on here?  I'm thinking hardware conflicts.  I'm not sure what though.  My wireless mouse causes an error message ("system win  ini.boot file corrupt or missing") if it's plugged in on startup.  Related? I'm baffled....

Message Edited by samnvt on 05-03-2009 09:54 PM
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.