Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

when I want to quote a word or use the quotes (either single or the double quotes) I have to either press quote and type, the quote appears and then press quote again, and other times it places 2 dots horizontal above the letter i type.  but this time I need to press it twice and then I get 2 quotes and have to back space out one of them - gets to be annoying...

here is what happens, i press quote once änd type - see above my first ""and"" (and see here too) along the line and then so on keep having these issues - annoying i tell yah - i don't know where to turn it off - anyone???:robotmad:

HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
thanks for that - your right on the money there... under control panel->regional and language options->keyboard and languages->change keyboards...->Default input language was set to "English (Australia) - United States International", I changed it to "English (Australia) - US"... So now you can see, I type my "quotes" properly!!!
HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Jim,

I must admit that I did have a bit of a chuckle when I read your post. I figure you don't think it is all that funny though.

Sounds like you've enabled a second keyboard. Your redemption should be found by changing the keyboard language back to US English.

How to change the keyboard language

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended
ahhh, i didn't think to look at it that way.  i was thinking maybe its some fancy k/stroke saving feature or something thats gone all horribly wrong...  i'll check it out later and see what lang the keyboard is or/and remove and re-install the k/b drivers... thanks for the suggestion!!  I'll have my fingers X while doing it - otherwise I'll resort to either voice activated typing commands or the onscreen k/b instead :TongueOut:

ps: just wondering what the worlds record words per minute is for onscreen k/b typing with a mouse is?

HP Recommended
thanks for that - your right on the money there... under control panel->regional and language options->keyboard and languages->change keyboards...->Default input language was set to "English (Australia) - United States International", I changed it to "English (Australia) - US"... So now you can see, I type my "quotes" properly!!!
HP Recommended

There is a also a possibility that while working you pressed 'ctrl' and 'shift' key simultaneously. Press this again to turn of this feature.Hope this may be helpful. 🙂

HP Recommended

Win 10

I had the same problem here in South Africa--same problem and same solution worked for me!

Control Panel ---Language---Options removed US International and left US English. Problem solved! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.