Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 19 all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was wondering if there was any way possible, to hook up my old normal pc monitor and making it a slit screen? Having an editing software open in one frame, while browsing in the other. 

My other monitor is a acer.

If so, what cables do I need other than  a usb to hdmi, do I need a special graphic card, or would that be unaccessible on a all in one desktop pc?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

L3xy

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about your display questions and wanted to help.

1) Split screen: Win10 has a function known as Aero-Snap in which when you have a window open, then open a second window -- and drag that window to the right or left edge of the disply, it immediately splits the display into two windows, each occupying half of the screen.

2) Second monitor: This depends on the output jacks on your PC.  If it has an HDMI, DVI, or VGA jack, you can connect a video cable to that and then to a monitor.  If there is no such jack, an option is something known as a USB-to-VGA adapter in which you can plug this into a USB port and the other end into a video cable connected to your monitor.

These adapters also come as USB-to-DVI, have different resolution limits, and different prices.  You should Google to see samples to check out resolution limits and prices.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Okay I will check the aero snap. But yes I was thinking 2 monitors, like this,

splitscreen YouTube

i was going to get a usb to hdmi cable. My old monitor has all, my all in one doesn't have a hdmi, I believe.

I just wanted to make sure it all works before I order the cable.

thank you for your help. 

HP Recommended

It's unfortunate that so many folks use the wrong terms -- leads to confusion!

THAT (in the video) is NOT "splitting screens"; instead, it is "extending the desktop".

And, you don't need anything special to do that, just an external monitor and a cable to connect it.

Good Luck

If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

HP Recommended
Oh okay I was always told it was splitting up the screen on two monitors. I tried it on my old pc and it just duplicated the screen.I'll get the cable and if it doesn't work I shall return.
Thank you.
HP Recommended

You sure it duplicated the screen, or only duplicated the wallpaper and put the same taskbar on both screens?

In the screen resolution window, it has a pulldown where you select Extend the desktop, or duplicate.  Check that to see the setting.

Good Luck

HP Recommended
Got my cable. have hdmi in the acer monitor,plugged in and removed vga cable. put usb into the all in one.
Acer says cable not connected. Hp isn't detecting it. cables are all in as far as they let me
HP Recommended
Any ideas. is it just not possible ?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.