Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi. 

I have a Pavilion p6720f desktop.  I want to boot from USB.  I just updated the BIOS which supposedly had fixed issues with USB booting. But there is no option in cmos setup in BOOT sequence for USB .  Options are HD, CD, FLOPPY, and NETWORK.  Any suggestions??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK PROBLEM SOLVED

Plug the USB Pen into any USB port on your PC (even the front port works)

Reboot

Press <ESC> during bootup to gain the 'Boot Menu'  (or F12 etc depending on your PC)

The USB Pen is now listed (SanDisk in my case)

Select it

Hit Enter

Linux boots fine

Tell your wife or girlfriend she's no longer dumped

Enjoy !!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

If this is the download noted here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=cp-98654-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

USB booting is not exactly what that was about: "Resolves issue that occurs when booting from USB optical drives."

Have you tried putting a bootable USB in the USB port first and trying to change the boot order?  I think they have to be detected first before it will offer that choice.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi

Ive had the same problem today

I installed Linux onto a USB Pen from my work PC (Dell). It starts Linux fine when I press F12 during reboot and select USB device

I brought the USB pen home thinking it would boot from my home PC (HP), but there is no option to boot from a USB device in the BIOS (just hard drive and cd are enabled in the boot list). My PC is a HP pavilion bought in 2009

I've looked across the web tonight seems im not the only one with this issue

how daft is this

HP Recommended

OK PROBLEM SOLVED

Plug the USB Pen into any USB port on your PC (even the front port works)

Reboot

Press <ESC> during bootup to gain the 'Boot Menu'  (or F12 etc depending on your PC)

The USB Pen is now listed (SanDisk in my case)

Select it

Hit Enter

Linux boots fine

Tell your wife or girlfriend she's no longer dumped

Enjoy !!

HP Recommended

Thanks, it worked.

HP Recommended

I tried all your steps (except by using Lexar 16GB) but failed to get the USB drive in Boot options.

I wonder how USB external hard disk is listing while the USB flash drive not.

Any help pls??

HP Recommended

Pravynandas - Since you are jumping in on someones elses thread, not all PC's can boot from USB.  What is the model number of your PC?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
for all those mistakes... a big sorry for this new bee.

It's hp pavilion 2010 purchase (sorry couldn't recall the model right away). With my little experise on Hp notebook, I tried all combinations that I can get from F10 & Esc.
To my surprise USB external hard disk is listed as a boot device but not my USB flash.

All am trying to install is my first Fedora 18 iso bootable. am i missing anything here..?
HP Recommended

Hi P,

You say 'All am trying to install is my frst fedora 18 iso bootable'

Have you actually installed it onto the USB yet?

If its not installed them maybe your PC (or notebook?) cant see it yet, and wouldnt have anything to boot even if if did see it

HP Recommended

Hi, 

My name is Aaron. I have a HP Pavilion G6 with Win 8. I've tried to install Ubuntu 13.04 from a USB, but i can't it boot right. I have the bios set to legacy and I've even set the two USB options at the top of the boot options. When I go to boot from the UEFI option my USB shows up, but all of the files are not executable. Can someone help me.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.