Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-480 PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, please advise. My cable is hooked up directly into my desktop, and there's no one else using wifi in my home. 

I like to watch live stream news shows while I do paperwork or listen to them while I play a CD video game, but my connection drops a lot. 

I called the cable company often for over a year, and they'd reset it, and they sent out someone a few times and I even paid to have them boost my power to 200 Mbps, but I'd still get only 10 to 60 on Speedtest.net, and live streaming still dropped and I'd have to refresh the page several to many times in an hour.  I couldn't change cable providers b/c they're the only one my apartment building is wired for.

This week they sent out a cable worker and his supervisor, who found two problems.  They fixed the cable cord inside the wall which had some kind of problem with the little silver thing, I think it's called a coaxal, causing interference.  This boosted my signal to 90 to 95 Mbps on my desktop (but he got 230 on his ipad using my wifi, and I have a super strong signal, all the bars are full).  However, my live streaming still drops, although not nearly as much.  The supervisor said I need a "Dualband Wifi card that can access a 5Ghz network." 

So a researched a little on the Internet to figure out what brand or model to buy to do this upgrade, but I saw on this site someone who had a similar question, but a commenter said "Another issue to consider is that your PC only has one internal antenna wire."  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Wireless-and-Networking/upgrade-wifi-card-on-Pavilion-500-424/t...

So, before I take my computer to a shop, do I need to ask him to also add a second antenna wire?  This one looks easy enough for me to do myself

(https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Adapter-N600-Internet-NET-DYN/dp/B01CBZRY78/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=...)

but I don't know if I even need it, since my cable box is hooked directly into my desktop. 

I also updated my driver (Realtek RTL8723BE/RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Driver) http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=6943827&swItemId=ob_149229_1&swEnvOid=415...

Can you think of any other possible problems causing this that have been overlooked?  I use both McAfee and CCleaner which I use daily, and recently added Malwarbytes, but there doesn't seem to be a virus. Thank you.

Specs:

HP Pavilion 500-480 desktop

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Processor: AMD Quad Core A8-6410 Accelerated Processor

Memory: 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 SDRAM memory(3) 1x4GB
(expandable to 16GB)

Hard drive: 1TB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive

Graphics: AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics

Keyboard and mouse: USB keyboard with volume control and optical
mouse

Optical Drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner

USB ports: 6 (4 x 2.0 , 2 x 3.0)

Wireless: Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n featuring Single-band (2.4GHz)
1x1 SISO technology

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Vita101

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the connection drops when you are live streaming.

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score.  It is a privilege to work with tech-savvy and technically competent customers like you and we greatly value your business with HP. It is a genuine pleasure to share this platform with you. 

I’d love to help!

Follow the below steps to fix this issue.

Open CMD as Admin:  Copy the following commands, and press Enter after each one.

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

netsh int tcp show global (Check if All settings have taken effect)

Reboot the system and see if it works.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If the information I've provided was helpful, please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.