Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have found that frequently the first character I type in a new window does not appear. For example, in a new email I'll start to type an email address beginning with "david" but it appears as "avid". Another example would be in a Google search, I might type "photography" and get "hotography". This is NOT my poor typing - I've got other computers, both desktop and laptop, which don't exhibit this problem, and I've been a computer professional for over 30 years so I type fairly well as a result. The problem happens only on this HP PC.

The model is a P6235UK which comes with HP's own wireless keyboard and mouse, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The problem does not occur on every new window and I've not been able to figure out the exact circumstances, but it certainly happens on a daily basis. I hope someone can help put an end to my frustration.

Incidentally, I just spell-checked this posting and the suggested replacement for P6235UK was "puke". I'd not necessarily agree with that as I've been generally very happy with the PC, just frustrated by this occasional blip :Wink:

Dave (sometimes now known as ave) 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello deemacphotos, Have you tried a wired keyboard?

You might also see if there may be any driver updates for the HP wireless keyboard.

The spell checking has nothing to do with the HP computer, but the application you are using for the email or spell check.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks Hanspuppa. I would have tried a wired keyboard but the only other keyboards I own have the old mini din-style connectors (PS/2), not USB, and the P6235UK has no PS/2 keyboard or mouse connectors. However, I'll see if perhaps I can borrow a USB wired k/b from somewhere.

I thought the driver update might be worth pursuing even though I believed the bundled HP Update software checked that automatically. However, I've just run it and it says no new updates are available. Perhaps I've misunderstood something.

My spell-check comment was tongue-in-cheek. I never imagined anyone would actually take that seriously rather than see it for what it was (passing on something that struck me as humorous). Maybe you were just being funny in return...

I'd hoped someone else might have experienced the same problem and known how to fix it. Still hoping! Thanks for taking the time though.

Dave.

HP Recommended

Hello deemacphotos, I understand about the connectors.

I did a search on your system for divers and located some at this Link

I would download and install these drivers just in case yours may have become corrupted.

This malfunction does appear to be driver related, but also could be hardware related as well.

This driver update refers to HP wireless keyboard and mouse, so it may be of some help.

I never rely on automatic updates for anything. I always do manual updates, and especially for Windows.

Windows updates are known to have outdated drivers and many times will corrupt a system.

There are other updates that I don't need nor want, that Microsoft will force on your system with automatic updates.

It's very nice to have contact with a person with a sense of humor. We are a diminishing breed.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks once more Hanspuppa. I followed your link and then switched to the UK support site, as our UK keyboard layout is different from the US one and I didn't fancy risking an update that might mess me up. I have installed the driver from there and re-booted. I was coming back here to thank you and to suggest I would wait a day or two to see if the problem is still occurring. However, when signing back in, guess what... Yes, I typed in my username and it was.... eemacphotos - the first character wasn't picked up once again.

So, sadly, the problem persists in spite of the latest keyboard driver. Thanks again, though, for going to the trouble of looking up the driver update for me.

As for us being a dying breed, at least we'll die laughing :Wink:

Dave.

HP Recommended

Hello deemacphotos, Sorry to hear that the driver update did not resolve the issue.

Here  is a link for wireless devices.   Here  is another link that may be helpful.

I have heard of these kinds of issues with wireless keyboards.

One other thing, that I'm sure you have thought of, is installing some new batteries.

I don't think this would be causing the issue but you never know.

If your system is still in warranty, I would contact HP and see if they would send you a new keyboard.

One other thing that you might try, is to enter the control panel, device manager, and delete the keyboard, then reboot, and see if the operating system will find it and install it once again.

I have done this in the past and been successful, but many times, not so much.

Just some thoughts.

HP Recommended

Well, I can tell you it's not your HP computer, as I have a Dell and the same thing happens.

Actually, I have two Dells, and the problem occurs on only the laptop.

I haven't nailed down the cause or solution -- it's still easier to just hit the Home key and enter the missing letter -- but I suspect it's due to the browser and its version: IE7 vs IE8, Firefox 4.0 vs 5.0, etc.

I say that because I don't notice the problem except when I'm on the internet. Then again, I hardly ever use MS Office apps on the laptop.

It's been a year since you posted your problem. Have you found a solution to share with us?

HP Recommended

I had the same problem but with simple logitech keyboard (not wireless)

Just found a solution :

Deplug your keyboard.
Go into the Device manager, and deinstall all the devices under the keyboard section (right clic -> deinstall).
Then plug it again.

That worked for me.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.