Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

So, my computer works fine other than one infuriating thing; it will suddenly lose access to the Internet, saying limited with the yellow "caution" sign. And while the list normally has 6 networks listed, when this happens, it will have only the network I am currently connected to listed.

When I try turning the wifi off on my computer, it loses even the one I was connected to, and it will say "no available networks".

The only way I can fix it is if I restart my computer.

The most annoying thing is, though, is the fact that it will not happen for months, and then suddenly start happening again. It'll happen sometimes once a day, and others three or four times a day. 

Its only this computer, too. I've never had a computer that did this before this one.

I can't restart the router because its never helped before, and it doesn't happen to any other devices in the house, so the other house members want let ne try anymore. 

Its a real nice computer but as most of my school work and job stuff needs the Internet, I'm tempted to buy another computer just so this doesn't happen anymore.

Is there anyway to atop this from happening, or to fix it without restarting when it does?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@IAmAngryRN

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC and it losing wireless connection intermittently. The only way to get reconnected is by restarting the laptop. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

Open Control Panel, change view to Small Icons, then select "Recovery".
- After creating a Restore Point, open Device Manager.
- Open the "Network Adapter" list, and find the WiFi adapter.
- Right Click the driver, and select "Disable“ and “Re-Enable”
- Check if Wifi connects. If not, continue with the steps below.
- Open CMD as Admin:  Copy the following commands, and press enter after each one.

-

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

netsh int tcp show global  (Check if All settings have taken effect)

Reboot the system and see if it works.

If the issue still persists then please perform the steps as described in detail from this link to fix wireless issues in Win8.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted. All the best! 🙂 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.