Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My hp computer keeps  restarting it self i turned it on before  then 10 mins later  it restarted it self 3 times  it has done it did it other day and twice today i was wondering what the problem is.

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

Hp_girl2009, it would help us to know the make/model of your computer and which operating system it is running.

You can disable auto-restart in the "System" tab in the "Control Panel" (Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery).  Then, when it fails because of an error, it will simply write an entry in the log to tell you what caused the problem.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi!  My computer has done this to me as well!  I'll leave for class and when I come back my screen saver will be on and nothing will be up.  On a normal basis, after two hours my computer will go go to sleep, but lately, after thirty or forty minutes of being idle, it will restart.  Today it has done it three times.  I have a HP Dv6000 and it has restarted itself approximately 6 times in the last 3 days without me doing it.  Three times I have received an error message that has said something along the lines of "Windows has encountered an error and has had to restart" and then asked me to check for a solution, but nothing has ever come of looking for a solution.  Is there anything I can do?  Or is this a severe hardware problem that is going to crash my computer?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

There are mainly two reasons for this

1. some virus has made your PC home and doing this magic. use an anti virus to let the virus go for a long vacation

2. This is definately an hardware issue. If you are a pro then remove the RAM from the slot and  reinsert it after wiping it gently with soft cloth.

3. The motherboard needs replacement (call HP service center and get this done)---Self experience.

HP Recommended

There are mainly two reasons for this

1. some virus has made your PC home and doing this magic. use an anti virus to let the virus go for a long vacation

2. This is definately an hardware issue. If you are a pro then remove the RAM from the slot and  reinsert it after wiping it gently with soft cloth.

else The motherboard needs replacement (call HP service center and get this done)---Self experience.

HP Recommended
My HP 2000 keeps shutting off then restarting. When it restarts it only shows the HP logo, then shuts down and restarts again. I have only had the computer for 6 months and I have never had problems with it before.
HP Recommended

Im having a similar issue every couple hours my screen says your pc has run into a error and must resart.  Would really like to know what to do I have a hp-p2-1322 its only two months.  Plus when it comes back ont he screen itsnt quite right its almost staciky looking.

HP Recommended

Same thing is happening with me.  I have an HP a6528p running Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1.

This is very annoying and frustrating and occurs several times a day.

HP Recommended

@sbwoo,

I understand the system is restarting itself.

Is it giving you the message that it is shutting down first and then restarting, powering off and you have to manually turn it on, or powering off without an error message and then turning itself on?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
Hello Hp_girl2009!
This issue of restarting happens due to some updates that you may have kept on pending. Also they may give you a notifier stating that it will restart in a certain amount of time and you can restart at that moment or just postpone it. I would recommend you to take that update and save all of your work before restarting (if you think that your work is important).
Hope it helps! 🙂
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.