Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE h8-1360t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can not connect to the internet.  The wireless router is working and connects other items to the internet, so I know it works to that point.  I am using a cable to the HP Pavilion and have tried a different cable and that did not help.  Tried different plug-ins to the router and that didn't help.  Tried connecting directly modem to HP and of coarse that didn't work.  I believe the problem is with the NIC which is on the mother board.  In the System it says it is working.  Also says the drivers are the most recent.  But it is not connected to the internet so I'm not sure if it knows that.

I installed Windows 10 a couple of months ago and everything has been working up until about 5 days ago.  Is there any way to check the NIC?  Or what should I look for and do next?

Another problem that might be related is that I have lost the Start menu that should pop up.  I've been right clicking on the start button for everything I have needed for a couple of weeks now.

tia,

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there!

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that wireless and start menu is not working on your laptop.

Please try few steps recommended below.

Step 1. Right-click the Start button and select "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the menu. This can launch Command Prompt as Admin.
Step 2. Type the following command and hit the Enter key:
reg delete HKCR\CLSID\{988248f3-a1ad-49bf-9170-676cbbc36ba3} /va /f
Step 3. Enter the command below into the Command Prompt and press Enter key once more:
netcfg -v -u dni_dne
Step 4. Restart the computer and check back with your Wi-Fi settings. You now should see a revived list of all the available networks within range.

To fix the start menu please follow the steps recommended below.

1. Launch Task manager

Press the [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Del] keys on the keyboard at the same time, or right-click the Taskbar and select Task manager.

2. Run a new Windows task

When the Task manager window opens, click the More details option to expand it, then select Run new task from the File menu.

3. Run Windows PowerShell

When the Run new task dialog box opens, type powershell, tick the box for Create this task with administrative privileges and click OK.

Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day!                                                                 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hey there!

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that wireless and start menu is not working on your laptop.

Please try few steps recommended below.

Step 1. Right-click the Start button and select "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the menu. This can launch Command Prompt as Admin.
Step 2. Type the following command and hit the Enter key:
reg delete HKCR\CLSID\{988248f3-a1ad-49bf-9170-676cbbc36ba3} /va /f
Step 3. Enter the command below into the Command Prompt and press Enter key once more:
netcfg -v -u dni_dne
Step 4. Restart the computer and check back with your Wi-Fi settings. You now should see a revived list of all the available networks within range.

To fix the start menu please follow the steps recommended below.

1. Launch Task manager

Press the [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Del] keys on the keyboard at the same time, or right-click the Taskbar and select Task manager.

2. Run a new Windows task

When the Task manager window opens, click the More details option to expand it, then select Run new task from the File menu.

3. Run Windows PowerShell

When the Run new task dialog box opens, type powershell, tick the box for Create this task with administrative privileges and click OK.

Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day!                                                                 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi!  I have read your response below and was wondering if this solution will help me with my problem.  Which is that I lose my connection on my laptop constantly.  I have logged out, I check my wifi connect, I remove the connection, I reconnect, I check for updates, I plug directly to the modem, I have even unplugged the modem to see if that helps...no such luck.  I have done everything I can.  It really makes for an unpleasant experience.

Updattes show everything is there and no drivers are missing.

There is no specific time for this to happen.  As noted below, everybody else and every other product has not problem.

Would the steps below help me fix the problem?

Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.