Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
So, our USB Mouse and Keyboard on or Pavilion 23 are not working. They power up at startup, but one the home screen comes up...nothing. I've tried swapping them out and the mouse I tried stays on (sensor light on the bottom stays lit) but doesn't register on the screen. The keyboard has no lights on. I tried holding F12 at start up and the keyboard registers for those commands, but once Windows 8 loads, everything quits working. Not really sure if this is a hardware or software thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and/or product number of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.

The above requested information can be found on the side, back, or bottom of your computer. Please do not include your serial number. Please enter the model/product information into HP's Online Consumer Support page and/or post it here for our review.

Please indicate if the mouse and keyboard are wired or wireless and what USB ports they are plugged into.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Do you have your wireless usb connector also connected to your computer?

HP Recommended

Sorry about that.  I have an HP Pavilion 23 b090.  Product Number is :  H3Z78AA#ABA

I am using a wired USB mouse and a wired USB keyboard.  I have tried all of the USB ports...all with the same resort.

I mentioned in the original post, I tried holding down F12 while turning on the computer (not sure why, but thought I remembered that from years and years ago) and was able to use the keyboard to navigate that screen, but once Windows 8 opens up, I lose all response from my mouse and keyboard.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi wabrahamse,

Thank you for the information. I understand that you are having an issue with the keyboard and mouse when Windows 8 loads. I have included two documents here for you. 'Wired Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 😎', and 'Troubleshooting Mouse Problems (Windows 😎'. This will take you through a lot of the troubleshooting to hopefully get to a resolution.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue with the keyboard and mouse, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I was able to pull those documents up on my phone, but neither one provided any solution.  I was able to hold down one of the Function keys during startup and brought up a menu through which I was able to "Refresh" my computer.  It wiped some of the programs (Microsoft Office Suite) but did resolve the mouse and keyboard issue.  However, shortly thereafter, we lost all response from our ethernet port.  It is not a cable or modem issue.  I have been abe to eliminate both of those as the culprit.  I'll be picking up a wireless router to run from the cable modem since the computer seems to be picking up all of the wireless networks in the neighborhood anyway.

HP Recommended

Hi wabrahamse,

Thank you for the information. At this point just to confirm, if you connect the keyboard and the mouse to another computer they do work?

The only other option that you would have would be to update the BIOS. I have include the document 'Updating the BIOS'. This will take you through checking your current version and updating to the newest version available for your computer.

Please let me know if this fixes the keyboard and mouse, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi All!

I am faced with the same issue and found solution for this. The problem was that my hp pav 550 - 106nt has only usb 3.0 inputs but Windows 7 doesn't has drivers preload for USB 3.0, only for USB 2.0. If you will try Windows 8 instalation there must not be so kind of problem.

So I made some .iso file from my installation DVD and made a bootable USB drive from this image. After that, I include usb 3.0 drivers inside of this usb (you can google for program, that making all job for you). And this is all! After I start win 7 installation - problem was solved.

Sorry for my broken english 🙂

HP Recommended

Just bought HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-p0xx preluded with Windows 10 Home Single Language. Need to install Windows 7 pro 32 bit for the old application system to run but USB Mouse and Keyboard wont work during installation. Had used bootable USB with USB 3.0 driver (Intel USB 3.0 creator) but still no luck... Any other solution to this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.