Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion HPE h8-1170d
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi!
My computer crashed recently and after i turned it on, the network adapter couldnt be detected. I tried to install/update drivers from HP website but it states that there are no driver downloads available for windows 10. How do i get the software? Thanks!

Model: h8-1170d
Network adapter: Dual stream 802.11n Wireless LAN Card
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
The maufacturer is by Ralink Technology
HP Recommended

Hi @Zyyeox3,

Welcome to the HP community.  A very good day to you. 🙂 I read the post regarding driver issues for your wireless adapter for Windows 10.  It will be a delight to assist you.

Superb description and very smart diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂  Brilliant troubleshooting also to check it out on the HP website.  You are an important HP customer and it is a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Did it work correctly on windows 10 before?
  • Or did it stop working after a recent Windows 10 upgrade?
  • Did you check in device manager if the wireless adapter is getting listed?

It could be a faulty wireless adapter. Please first check in device manager if there is a Question mark, exclamation mark or red X listed under network adapters. If it is installed correctly, please uninstall the driver and restart the computer and check if it works correctly.

For now please try to download the WLAN drivers from this link: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_150624_1

This should do the trick for you provided the wireless adapter is listed in device manager and is working correctly.

Please check this link out also for the drivers: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/WiFi-not-working-after-Windows-10-ins...

'Otherwise please check if the computer works with a hard-wired Ethernet connection. Also, try all the prescribed steps for wireless troubleshooting from this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Ralink-RT5390-Wifi-Adapter-Unable-to-... Please keep me posted.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi thanks for the reply!
1. Yes it was working for quite some time before this happened
2. The adapter is not listed at all (code:45). I have to click the "show hidden devices" inorder to access the adapter

Also, the driver download that you have provided doesnt seem to be working. I have actually tried that driver prior to posting in the forum and thought that the reason it wasnt working is because it was a driver for notebooks and not desktops

Unfortunately i think i made a mistake when following your instructions. I uninstalled it and restarted my computer but now its totally gone. However, i made sure not to check the " delete driver software for this device" box

Thanks!
HP Recommended

Hi @Zyyeox3,

Thanks for the super quick response. I reviewed the post comprehensively. Superb troubleshooting and commendable deductions done. Kudos to for that. 🙂  Please try a system restore first to an earlier time before the issue started: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545 

Please select the option, "Restore your computer when Windows starts normally" and select a good known working date prior to the crash.

If this does not work, please back up all your files and reinstall windows 10 again to check if the WLAN drivers come back.  I am suspecting the WLAN card for now.  That is the reason why I am asking you to reinstall windows 10 to eliminate software related issues.

As the wireless adapter is not getting detected and the drivers are not found on the HP website, I will send you a third party link for you to download the drivers. Please do not click on any ad, link, image or mail. If it asks you for money stop right away.

http://www.driverscape.com/download/dual-stream-802.11n-wireless-lan-card

• Try to download only these versions and install it.
  • Driver Version: 5.00.52.0000
  • Release Date: 2014-11-25
  • File Size: 11.74M
  • Supported OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8.1 64bit, Windows 8 64bit
  • Or Driver Version: 5.00.46.0000
  • Release Date: 2014-04-09
  • File Size: 21.89M
  • Supported OS: Windows 10 32 & 64bit, Windows 8.1 32 & 64bit, Windows 7 64bit, Windows Vista 64bit

If this does not work,  it may be a hardware issue with the wifi card, the best workaround here would be to order a wireless USB wifi dongle and plug it to one of the USB ports of the computer and then connect it to the router to go online. It is very cost effective and economical and also corrects the situation. You could do it from a local Best Buy or Staples store. You could also order it from one of the online portals like Amazon or Ebay.

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. You've been commendable and it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I genuinely hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time once it gets fixed. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for the quick reply!
Seems like the computer is beyond repair hahaha.
Prior to this I've tried system restore but it failed, reinserted the pcie mini card, installing the drivers you recommended but all to no avail.
Last thing left is to reinstall windows but i was too lazy to do it but guess i dont have an option now!
Guessing the problem lies with my pcie mini card wifi adapter but ill go ahead with the restore and update you if it works! If not ill just get a new adapter or revert back to the ethernet

Thanks so much for your help! It has been a pleasure
HP Recommended

Hi @Zyyeox3,

I read the post. Good humor and it is not lost on me. 🙂  We have worked as a team in tandem to figure out a way to resolve the issue. You've also reseated the PCI mini express WLAN card and it still has not done the trick for you. The computer is not smiling right now and we will ensure that it smiles. If it is the PCI mini express slot and not the card that is faulty, then replacing it with another WLAN card will not help.

The copious investigations and exhaustive deductions can make a certain Sherlock Holmes turn green with envy. Great job on your part. 🙂

But as this is a desktop a hard wired Ethernet cable is the best solution at this current time. Had it been a notebook, then the USB Wifi dongle could have been a good workaround. We have worked as a team to figure out what is wrong with the computer. 

You've been simply fabulous to work with, considering your technical expertise and exhaustive technical skills. 🙂  It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 Trust me, I've done all I can to assist you, by keeping your best interest in mind. 

I honestly hope the wireless USB dongle does the trick and the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.