Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an HP wireless mouse, and just recently when i use the scroll wheel in the middle of the mouse, it seems to scroll up and down really weird.  Sometimes when I scroll up, it scrolls down the page, sometimes a little bit, and sometimes a lot. Same goes for when i scroll down.  so if im scrolling through a page, or zooming in and out with it, it just jumps back or forward, and I dont know the reasony why. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello kylepeterson24, It would be helpful to know the computer model and the operating system being used.

It may be possible that the mouse drivers are not properly installed, or corrupted.

I would suggest going to the HP web site for your computer, and download and install the latest wireless mouse drivers for your system, and see if this may correct the issue.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

the model of the desktop is HP Pavilion Elite e9270t CTO Desktop PC

HP Recommended

If you are running Windows 7 then look here for a driver update.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I've been having the exact same issue for several months now. Tried all kinds of suggested solutions but to no avail. The left and right buttons work and clicking on the wheel has allowed me to scroll that way. But then I told myself I want the mouse to work at its fullest capacity, and so, I did the following (I understood fully that it may not work and was well prepared to purchase a new keyboard set)...I turned off the mouse and removed the batteries. I used a very small flathead screwdriver to pry open the top panel (I'll call this the "hood") of the mouse. Under the mouse's hood I saw a small black wheel (this small wheel moves when I move the scroll wheel back and forth). I placed alcohol onto a q-tip and while I turned the scroll wheel I allowed the q-tip to rub against the small black wheel (this cleaned it). I placed the panel back onto the mouse, replaced the batteries, turned on the mouse, and wala, the mouse's scroll wheel sends pages forward and backward without any problems whatsoever. I don't feel too comfortable suggesting that a person do this because, as I stated earlier, I understood that it might not work. I took my time and treated things delicately. It worked for me!! If you do decide to follow these instructions please know you're doing so at your own risk

HP Recommended

Problem solved thanks to "Aldora310"

I made an account just to say this.

simple solution is to take the mouse apart and clean the wheel and black thing it goes in.
(i want calll it a  pulse generator but i may be wrong)

No need to be gental as Aldora310 suggested its ether fix it or buy a new one.
i did not have the correct screwdriver so a knife did the trick...

there are 3 screws under the round black covers they just stick on.
maybe i should get one of those universal sonic screwdrivers like the doctor has... lol

oh and a alcohol pad works just as well..

HP Recommended

New drivers / software does nothing to help this problem.

HP Recommended

Mine was acting very weird too ,i ended up getting a new mouse a microsoft sculpt mobile it has a 4-way scroll wheel.now it works great

HP Recommended

APPLIES TO Z3200   HP MOUSE  and possibly others

The cause of this is simple to fix. If it scrolls correctly when being pushed, you will find that the scroll wheel consists of the hard  plastic "rim" with shaft that connect to the sensor internally. And on this "rim" is mounted a soft rubber "tire" which gives it the soft feel.

This is visible if you open the cover as though changing the battery and look down the side of the scroll wheel you can see the line separating the rim and tire. The soft tire stretches with age, use, bad material choice whatever and slips on the rim.

Put a small, small drop of cyanoacrylate adhesive (super glue) into the line in 2 or 3 places around the circle to bond the tire to the rim.  Use a pin if you have to. Don't use excessive amounts that can run down and glue unintended  pieces.

Problem solved! 

HP Recommended

@Aldora310 wrote:

I've been having the exact same issue for several months now. Tried all kinds of suggested solutions but to no avail. The left and right buttons work and clicking on the wheel has allowed me to scroll that way. But then I told myself I want the mouse to work at its fullest capacity, and so, I did the following (I understood fully that it may not work and was well prepared to purchase a new keyboard set)...I turned off the mouse and removed the batteries. I used a very small flathead screwdriver to pry open the top panel (I'll call this the "hood") of the mouse. Under the mouse's hood I saw a small black wheel (this small wheel moves when I move the scroll wheel back and forth). I placed alcohol onto a q-tip and while I turned the scroll wheel I allowed the q-tip to rub against the small black wheel (this cleaned it). I placed the panel back onto the mouse, replaced the batteries, turned on the mouse, and wala, the mouse's scroll wheel sends pages forward and backward without any problems whatsoever. I don't feel too comfortable suggesting that a person do this because, as I stated earlier, I understood that it might not work. I took my time and treated things delicately. It worked for me!! If you do decide to follow these instructions please know you're doing so at your own risk

Thank your for your advice, I was getting ready to throw away my bluetooth mouse and go back to a hard wire one. I followed your instruction and it works perfect. All it needed was to clean that wheel inside the mouse and now works great. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.