Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion QN650AA#ABA

This morning (July 30) I upgraded by computer to the Windows 10 operating system.  Since then, however, my CD/DVD drive is not detected and/or recognized.

The icon on my desktop has a big question mark on it.  If I click that, I get the following error message:

The item 'E:\' that this shortcut refers to has been chnaged or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.

I have looked under Device Manager for the CD/DVD drive, and there's nothing there.

What happened, and how do I fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had the same problem. This worked to fix my Windows 10 Pro system. Note this mentions 32-bit but did work for my 64 bit Windows 10. This was taken from  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03280768 

Resolution 5: Create a registry subkey
Note To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. If you need help verifying that you are an administrator, go to http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin
Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
To create the registry subkey, follow these steps:
    Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run box. (or right-click on windows icon in lower left corner)
    Type regedit in the Run box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
    In the navigation pane, locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi
    Right-click atapi, point to New, then click Key.
    Type Controller0, and then press Enter.
    Right-click Controller0, point to New, and then click DWORD(32-bit) Value .
    Type EnumDevice1, and then press Enter.
    Right-click EnumDevice1, click Modify....
    Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    Exit Registry Editor.

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if performing each of the resolution steps, 2, 3, and 5 from the link below work for you.

Usually #3 or #5 will fix that kind of issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

HP Recommended

My CD/DVD drive is unable to read either dvd or cd discs in windows 10 . when i put the cd and push the drive back on , the green light flashes for 2 seconds and stops. i am able to eject the disc using CD Drive -> Eject options. Wondering why there would be an issue with drive unable to read the disc.

This is stopping me from creating a repair disc for my laptop.

Plz help me resolve the issue.

HP Recommended

I am also getting the same problem in hp pavillion dv6 2020ax and none of the steps listed in link fixed the issue. Is there an issue with windows 10 upgrade or is it an HP driver issue ?

HP Recommended

It would have to be a result of the upgrade to W10.

There are no specific CD/DVD drivers. 

They have been included in all versions of Windows since Windows 2000 came out.

It certainly is not an HP driver issue.

HP Recommended

i am doubting if the CD/DVD ROM is having an issue ? There doesnt seem to be a driver issue here. 

The same cds are working on different machine. 

Also it is trying to read the disc but eventually fails to detect any disk . 

I followed the steps in below Hp support link 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03280768

Below are the observations.

Step 4 failed :

i used diskpart and list vol.

I saw the disk in there but showed "Media Unavailable"

When tried to access it be entering E: , it showed me a message "Device Not Ready"

If it fails in step 4, below is the recommended action

• If the message "device is not ready" is shown, or the screen fails to update after 30 seconds, the disc or the drive may be bad. Repeat these steps with a few other discs of the same type to make sure the problem is not related to the disc. If other discs of the same type cannot be read, skip to Step 8 to test the drive to see if the drive has truly failed.

Step 8 also fails but doesn't show any error details. 

As per step 8 : If the drive fails the test, replace the drive or have the computer serviced.

So i guess its a problem with the CD/DVD drive. However is there a quick fix i could do or service is the only option?

HP Recommended

I am not a PC repair tech by trade or training.

If the drive was working before you upgraded to W10, and none of the steps in the Microsoft link that I posted worked, unfortunately, I would be unable to determine what this issue could be, or what further steps should be taken to determine the root cause of the problem.

HP Recommended

I felt this would be an upgrade issue but i must accept the fact that i was not using the CD/Drive often and it was only at the time of creating a recovery disc for windows 10 i realized there is an issue with the Drive. 

In my case the DVD drive is being detected in device manager as well. So it seems like a problem with the CD drive. 

I tried to clean the laser area as shown in various online links however that didn't help the drive reading the discs still.

The drive still tries hard to read it because i can see a grinding sound and the lights blinking for some time. 

HP Recommended

CD/DVD stopped seeing cd or DVD after upgrade this AM.

about.JPG

insert a disk.JPG

HP Recommended

I had the same problem. This worked to fix my Windows 10 Pro system. Note this mentions 32-bit but did work for my 64 bit Windows 10. This was taken from  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03280768 

Resolution 5: Create a registry subkey
Note To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. If you need help verifying that you are an administrator, go to http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin
Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
To create the registry subkey, follow these steps:
    Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run box. (or right-click on windows icon in lower left corner)
    Type regedit in the Run box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
    In the navigation pane, locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi
    Right-click atapi, point to New, then click Key.
    Type Controller0, and then press Enter.
    Right-click Controller0, point to New, and then click DWORD(32-bit) Value .
    Type EnumDevice1, and then press Enter.
    Right-click EnumDevice1, click Modify....
    Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    Exit Registry Editor.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.