Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This solution worked for me. Windows 10 home, Pioneer DVD-RW drive. It was being detected in BIOS but not by Win10

HP Recommended

I have no idea.  But it seems that a lot of people had this problem.

HP Recommended

Hi:  I tried every possible solution and ultimately discovered that the cd/dvd drive was at fault.  For a nominal amount I had it replaced and now it works perfectly.  It wasn't the upgrade to 10 or an outdated driver, it was the drive itself. 

HP Recommended

Dear Strydorna - firstly, let me say, I don't have a HP... but I have had this same issue since updating from Windows 7 to 10.  I scoured the internet, spent over two hours in MS Chat Support, waited 30 mins on phone but nothing helped.  Your solution DID!!!  Thank you so very, very much.  This is such a simple fix and MS should be ashamed of themselves for not addressing it or having their techs know how to fix it.  Thank you again so very, very, very much!  All the very best to you Sir (or Madam as the case may be)!!! 🙂

HP Recommended

I entirely agree with you about Microsoft.  Believe me, I was already ready to pull my hair out until I arrived at the fix.  Glad to hear that your machine is now up and running properly.

HP Recommended

It worked for me on ONE drive...but I have 2 and no one seems to know how to get the second one recognised..???

HP Recommended

Topcat - could you repeat the steps above but this second time maybe type EnumDevice2 and enter 2 as the value instead of 1?  Just an idea (as it is your second drive) .... do a back up first of your registery file first because I am not an expert - not even a novice really but seemed like a reasonable idea!  Maybe someone else could chime in? All the best!

HP Recommended

If you have multiple dvd drives OR your first drive didn't pop up after this fix. Try adding another Key in the registry!
add Controller1 with the same dword value of EnumDevice1

I did this and it worked on a laptop that came preloaded with win 10. It only had one dvd drive, but it worked nonetheless.

Good luck, hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Hi there...I tried all the above with no success...In fact..one of the methods my computer did not start up so I had to disconect the drive and luckily it restarted...I know it can be recognised,but I don't understand why Windows 10 does'nt install newly fitted extras such as Hdd and things...When I had windows 7 on...I simply fitted the DVD drive and windows 7 installed no probs...I'm beginning to wish now I'd not bothered changing over to windows 10 and waited till things had settled...Thanks to those that replied

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.