Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

After installing Windows 8.1, I cannot adjust the screen brightness anymore.  I checked and updated all drivers and nothing helped.  There used to be a brightness slider under the Control Panel in Power Settings.  It is gone now.  I have searched all over for a fix but I cannot seem to find it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the specs of my computer:

HP Pavilion Touch Smart 23-F213W

Windows 8.1

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Many of the All in One computers are able to use HP MyDisplay at this location http://www.portrait.com/dtune/hpc/enu/index.html.  There is a list of supported video cards on that page and should help to restore video adjustment controls. 

I am an HP employee

View solution in original post

99 REPLIES 99
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Pavilion i7

HP Recommended

Evidently HP do not read these blogs

HP Recommended

Hey Chal440,

I understand you are having an issue with the brightness control on Windows 8.

Right click on desktop,go to Personalize then display(bottom left)  Top left Adjust Brightness.

You could also check on this video from YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PItAaeWUZ0

I hope this helps.

I work on behalf of HP.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, but this does NOT fix the problem.  My brightness control worker perfectly before I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.  After updating to 8.1, the control slider vanished and the brightness control under settings shows as Unavailable.  This is a major problem.  The brightness is so bright that it is almost blinding.  This problem needs to addressed as soon as possible please.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hey Chal440,

I will pass this along to the appropriate persons.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Seconded. I had this problem when I installed Windows 8 way back when, but the same steps  to fix aren't working. Waiting on updated drivers

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with a Compaq 18 all in one.  The screen is so dark that I can't really see much or effectively use the computer.  I have thus reverted back to the original 8.0.  Would like to be notified when this is going to be fixed so I can complete the 8.1 update.

HP Recommended
There is an update that fixes this problem
HP Recommended

Happen to have the link at all?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.