Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 3 (697 Views)

Computer beeped and beeped..then shut down

The screen on my pavillion just shut off and then a few seconds later everything shut down. Then there was a few beeps and then a continuous beep for several minutes until I shut it off manually. Now it won't come back on. Any ideas???

I wasn't doing anything at all really. I was just in Micorsoft Word doing a flyer. Computer wasn't hot or anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Associate Professor
Message 2 of 3 (686 Views)

Re: Computer beeped and beeped..then shut down

Sounds like the motherboard failed. When you press the power button, do you get anything?

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

Distinguished Professor
Message 3 of 3 (684 Views)

Re: Computer beeped and beeped..then shut down

[ Edited ]

I don't know what PC model you have so I don't know if it cam e with XP or Vista... but here is some helpful articles to read thoroughly. Especially the power supply and beep codes:

Resolving Startup Problems in Windows 98, ME, and XP

Windows Vista Does Not Start

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation